Lupus

ask: What could be the cause of my skin conditions?

In the past year I have been diagnosed with both Discoid Lupus as well as Spongiotic Dermatitis, both of these conditions have me feeling itchy most of the time. I also have Alopecia Aereta, although I have not had a bald spot in several years, but at one point in my mid to late 30's, I had lost so much hair that the only way that I could cover it up was to wear my hair in a ponytail, the hair has grown back each time that I have lost it. I am 45 years old and I have always had great skin that tans well. I have native american heritage. Along with the skin conditions, I have had months at a time of hot flashes and missed periods, I am pretty sure that I am beginning menapause, my mother was only 35 when she started. Could the hormonal fluctuations have anything to do with the presentation of these new autoimmune type diseases?

Thank you for your question!

Lupus can actually effect every system and organ (including skin) in your body, and it may be your recent diagnosis of lupus that can be leading to the other symptoms and conditions you describe (you may have had lupus for awhile, but just recently diagnosed?). Lupus may also be the culprit in your hormone changes, or as you said, it could be perimenopause or menopause.

You can read more about lupus at: Mayo Clinic: Lupus and Leanring more about Lupus.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, and we are happy to talk with you more about treatment options, symptoms, conditions and more!