Urinary Tract Infection

Urinary Tract Infection Guide

ask: What could be causing razor blade pain in my vagina area? I do not have a UTI.

By cshellmichele

I started off with frequent urination back in Feb. (24 to 30 times/day) With some back pain and NO pain in my vagina. I do not have a UTI. After blood work, ultrasounds, urine tests, MRI, and cystoscopy test, all my doctors say I appear to be healthy. My urination is back to normal however now every day I am in pain leading up to urination and after I urinate. Then the pain subsides and the cycle start all over again. This razor pain is primarily in my vagina area, NOT my bladder. Some days its so bad. I've been on antibotics sense Feb. I need advice

Anonymous

I'm three months pregnant so thinking it could be to do with that?
But the last 2 days when I wee its so painful, like I'm weeing razor blades. Its really sharp.
Whenever I've had water infections in the past its been burning and constantly wantinf to wee, not like what I'm experiencing now.
Could anyone help??

Anonymous

Hi i am a 20 yr young female. I suddendly have bleeding the colors of dark but bright pinkish to light but bright red coMing from my urethra after I completely finish urinating almost evertime I urinate. This has bin occurring for the past 2 days now. Also SOMETIMES I feel razor sharp pains (or stinging pains) while I am urinating however I experience this pain ALWAYS towards the last drops of urinating which happens very sudden strong & sharp as well as this pain lingers 1 to 5 minutes afterwards. I dnt feel it is a UTI bcuz every1 I've had was of a burning feeling rather than sharp pain. Also I've never experienced vaginal or urethral bleeding other than regular adminstral cycles. Any ideas as to what this is?? Advice please? Thanks!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Please see your doctor straight away - it sounds like you may have a pretty severe urinary tract infection. You need treatment for this as untreated UTI's can lead to kidney infections that are quite serious. Please see a health care professional straight away.

Hi cshellmichelle

Thank you for your post and welcome!

I'm so sorry you have this kind of pain; it sounds excruciating. And it's not like you can just stop urinating until it gets better; going to the bathroom is something done multiple times a day. I'd also like to thank you for the added details; this really helps us.

I need to clarify something. Is your pain in your vagina or in your urethra? You don't urinate from your vagina, you urinate from the urethra. If the pain is indeed in the vagina, then you may need to see an OB/GYN in addition to your urologist. Can you clarify that for us?

If your doctors are sure you don't have a UTI and if everything appears to be normal, what kind of antibiotics were you put on? Have you been tested for any kind of STD/STIs? These can cause awful burning when urinating.

It's good that you have been checked for interstitial cystitis and that your underwent a cystoscopy. At least everything is being covered.

If you can clarify the exact located of your pain, that will help us and also let us know if you have undergone a full test for sexually transmitted infections. Obviously we don't know if you have one, but your symptoms are common for certain conditions like chlamydia or gonorrhea.

Also - now that you have been tested and cleared of so many urinary/bladder conditions, what have your doctors said about your continued pain?

cshellmichele (reply to Susan Cody)

Yes I have been tested for any sexual transmitted diseases already. The pain I am experiencing is coming from my urethra. As the weeks are passing the pain is subsiding. I have flare up every few days of this stinging pain. The antibiotics I've been on were Bactrum, & nitrofurantoin. Pyridine for whenever I'm in a lot of pain helps calm things down. I am no longer taking any meds.
The Urogynecologist suggested that I do a potasium sensitivity test along with urodynamic test. These are specific tests to rule out IC. Just having a cystoscopy alone may no show IC. What do you think? Another possibilty that my sensory nerves are messed up. A neurological problem, treated with therapy. I'm not sure what to do next? Has anyone had a urodynamic test? Is anestesia necessary?

Diane Porter (reply to cshellmichele)

Cshellmichele,

I'm glad you're doing a little better, though it sounds like it's been very slow going. I'm happy you've been able to stop the meds.

Here's a very thorough testing of what is involved in urodynamic testing. It doesn't mention the need for any anesthesia:

http://www.gynfo.com/womens_health_topics/urodynamics_testing.html

It sounds like the most inconvenient thing about the test is that it might be a little embarrassing. But what you have to remember is that the medical staff assists patients with this test all the time, and to them, it is just another procedure. To you, it could be a key to some answers.

I sure hope you find some. Will you come back and update us?