What could I do to improve my sleep?

By April 26, 2016 - 9:06am

I went through a very emotionally traumatic experience. I felt my life was collapsing around me. I became very sad, anxious and distressed....I wasn't able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours. I had never in my life experienced this before. Fast forward two years later and it feels like my brain has become accustomed to this. I've tried Benadryl, increasing activity during the day, Valerian tea, Chamomile tea, Melatonin ...even alcohol. Some day days I can get 6 hours...but, that is rare. I usually wake up around 2:30 a.m. and find it impossible to fall back asleep. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello GinaBallerina,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. I am glad you reached out to us for advice and suggestions on how to improve your ability to get a restful sleep.

Herbal tea, over the counter supplements and medications and alcohol have not helped.
Although alcohol may be effective in sleep induction, it impairs sleep during the second half of the night and can lead to a reduction in overall sleep time.

Anonymous, have you sought professional help to overcome that emotionally traumatic experience? My thought is you are still not over it and that may be the underlying cause of your inability to sleep well. Have you thought about cognitive behavioral therapy for sleep disorders?

I found these articles that might interest you,
Cognitive Behavioral Treatments for Sleep Problems

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia

EmpowHER Sleep Disorders home page

Sleep Disorders

Sleep Disorders Guide