What could it be?

Last Night I got a sudden sharp/burning pain in left lower back right by my kidney, the pain got worst with any sort of movement & it even felt like it was throbbing. Then I even felt like my lower abdomen was hurting too, as if the pain was spreading. I was feeling hot & sweating. I looked up possible conditions with my symptoms and many of them were something to do with my kidney or even a ectopic pregnancy since I did have some abnormal spotting 4 days ago, plus I have not had a regular period in 2 months. I was in the ER 2weeks ago for a back pain in the same area & the doctors said I had sprained my back but last night that did not feel like the pain I had before.

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're in pain.

You're symptoms are very broad so we can only really speculate on what it might be. Your kidneys aren't in your low back (not the very low part) but a bit further up. But your symptoms could be linked with your kidneys. An ectopic pregnancy is generally felt more in the middle to the side of the lower torso but if you also felt it in front, and you think you could be pregnant and possibly have an ectopic pregnancy, you need to test immediately.

You may also have a damaged nerve in your lower back - these can cause a lot of pain.

I would also suggest your appendix but if it were about to rupture, the pain would not stop and would be unbearable so if the pain stopped and you had no vomiting or other symptoms then that's unlikely too. You may need further testing as a kind of process of elimination.

How are you feeling today? Are you in any pain? And besides the back pain and sweating, is there anything else going on?

I hope to hear back from you!

The pain is Mild now, but I do have a like a Burning/Warm Sensation only on my left side, I don't really feel the lower abdomen pain anymore. Is it possible to be swollen from one side of my stomach ?

Hi again Anon

Yes, it's possible to have swelling like this.

I do think it's a good idea to get this checked out. Something is clearly amiss and some tests need to be run to make sure it's nothing serious.

It's unlikely to be your appendix or gall bladder problems if the pain is on your left side but again, we cannot say for sure.

Can you put a call into your doctor? And take a pregnancy test?

Thank You so Much, & Yes I'll set Up an Appointment ASAP.

Great and please keep us posted. I hope it's something very minor.

Low Back Pain