What to do after a missed week of pills?

By Anonymous April 24, 2010 - 12:00pm

I started taking birth control pills for more than a month. After using a full pack (including sugar pills) of Ortho Cyclen-Lo, I started on my second pack last week, and on the 5th/thursday pill, I started breaking out in hives/rash due to an allergic reaction to something. I took the pill again the next day (last friday), but that's the last time I took one due to a suspicion of being allergic to the pills. So it's been a full of not taking the pill.

I went to the doctor 3 days ago and she said that it may not be the pills, so to try to get back on it when I get my period. Well, I got my period early today (probably my body being thrown off by stopping the pill), making it twice I had my period this month. Do I go back on it again for the sunday start? Should I wait for my next cycle??

Yes, it does it make sense. =)

I wasn't sure and confused what to do after I stopped the first week of pills of my new pack, since I barely started using the pill last month. As a newbie, the breakthrough bleeding I experience today caught me by surprise since it was SO quick after I stopped, missing a full week full of pills (the white/light blue pills in the ortho tri-cyclen lo pack) . When you are the pill, when does ovulation happen? Is what I experience normal?

Otherwise, thank you so much for your response. It has answered a lot of questions and doubts I was having! =)

Your current breakthrough bleeding is considered your period, so follow your doctors advice. If this brand of birth control directs to you start the Sunday after your period starts, then that would mean tomorrow.

However, please go through the directions on your pill and follow them exactly. Call your doctor on Monday to make sure you followed her directions exactly. And between now and then, use a condom if you have sex.

Does this make sense to you?

Hi Susan! I have a follow up question about something...

So I've been back on the pill for 11 days since my the situation I posted about. (After missing a week of pills)

Earlier today, My boyfriend and I had intercourse, with a condom, but I am afraid some pre-cum leaked because there was some located in the shaft of the condom. I'm not sure if it did or not, but the thought of it scares me.

Am I protected? Will I be okay?

(reply to Anonymous)

Since you have been back on the pill for 11 days, yes, you should be protected. Especially since you used a condom. Usually when we miss two or three pills and need to start again, the recommendation is to use a condom for at least seven days. So you should be OK even if there was some pre-ejaculate fluid.
And in response to your ovulation question:
Without birth control, women who are on a "normal" (ha ha) schedule of a 28-day cycle generally ovulate about 14 days before their period starts, so somewhere around day 13-14. Since sperm can live for about 3 days, you add 3 days to the front of that, and since an egg can live for up to 36 hours you add a couple days to the back of that, and your "fertile window" is somewhere between days 10-15.
What birth control pills do is actually stop ovulation and keep the uterus from building up such a big tissue lining (which is why your periods are usually lighter on the pill). The danger when you miss pills is that your body WILL ovulate and that you could get pregnant because of that.
Does that help?