Hiatal Hernia

Hiatal Hernia Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: What does having a hiatal hernia - have to do with severe anemia?

I sometimes tend to cough very hard - often as long as 15-20 minutes at a time - but only a couple of times a week (most usually when I first wake up and sit up or start moving around - I have a past history for 10 or so years of asthma/COPD - but it seemed to have gone away about 5 years ago.....don't have any breathing problems....also have no sign of any blood in either sputum or stool.....I'm 68 years old - and other wise in excellent health (although overweight - but working on it)....my Blood Pressure today was 138/80 with Pulse 78.....

Anonymous

I was told that I have a very large visual hernia with erisons and ulcers on it I am very anemic at times had five blood transfusions since last year a couple of times had dropped down to a six then seven and eight. They the erisions and ulcers are the cause of the anemic. They are talking about doing the wrapvi

Diane Porter

Hi, Anon,

Welcome to EmpowHER! And thank you for writing to us.

So am I correct in assuming that you have both a hiatal hernia and severe anemia?

And did someone (a physician, for example) tell you they were related?

We have a very thorough page (with diagrams) on hiatal hernias, which happen when the upper part of the stomach moves up through a small opening in the diaphragm into the chest. Our page has information about symptoms, causes, risk factors, diagnosis and treatment, in addition to some other links. Here it is:

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/hiatal-hernia#definition

None of the symptoms, however, have anything to do with anemia except for the possibility of â—¦Bleeding from the stomach or esophagus, and you say that you've not seen any blood either with your coughing or in your stool, so that wouldn't seem to be the case.

Anemia is a blood disorder that occurs when red blood cell levels (RBCs) become abnormally low in the blood. It can also occur when the RBCs do not have enough hemoglobin. Did your doctor check your level of RBCs and tell you it was connected to your hiatal hernia?

Here's the Mayo Clinic's page on anemia. Be sure to click on the links down the side that take you to Symptoms and Treatments, etc:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321

There are many kinds of anemia; has your doctor specified one kind?