What does keyhole hernia surgery entail?

By April 20, 2009 - 9:40am

My father in Ireland is having keyhole hernia surgery tomorrow. I am a little worried as he is in his early eighties. He is very strong and healthy yet but I know that a general anaesthetic is dangerous for the elderly.
I am just wondering what exactly keyhole surgery for a hernia entails and what the recovery period will be like.
My Mother(who is 22 years younger than my father)is hoping that he will be well enough to accompany her to a relative's wedding two days after the surgery. Might this be possible?

On the funny side, she is really angry with him that he scheduled the surgery so close to the date of the wedding!

Thanks for the info and sorry you had to go through that surgery yourself.How was your surgery.
Piles Treatment

Keyhole surgery for hernia is basically the removal of hernia through small hole made near the abdomen. This is a quick and less painful process.

The surgery went great. They actually went in through the bellybutton. He wasn't even completely under...twilight anaesthetic, I think.
The next morning, he asked the doc if he could go back to chopping wood up right away and he was told that he could if he felt up to it! Crazy at 83!!!
And he made the wedding today so my Mother was happy!!!!

Very funny, SusanC...he is incredibly passive aggressive! LOL.
Thanks for the info and sorry you had to go through that surgery yourself.
I will know by this time tomorrow how it went and will post...and there is plenty for me to read up on to keep my mind busy!

Is he a passive-aggressive chap? Maybe this is his way of boycotting the wedding!

We have a really good section on laproscopic (keyhole) surgery on Empowher, that includes information on hernias done this way.

I had emergency laproscopic surgery myself last fall and it went fine, although I'm a tad younger than your father! In general, it's a very safe surgery but as we all know, there are always risks with any kind of surgery and anesthesia is always a stress on the body. Bear in mind that on the rare occasion that it doesn't work, surgeons often end up needing to do regular surgery (cutting a person open) - all that means really is that they do it the same as they always did. But they will explain all that and it's rare they have to do traditional surgery when a laproscopic method does not work.

But our Encyclopedia an information section can explain it better than I can. Here it is : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/laparoscopy

and you can click on the "Hernia Repair" section here too, the information is very in-depth. It also covers Laproscopic Hernia Surgery.

Let us know how the surgery goes. I don't know if he'll make that wedding two days later, I know I could barely walk, although my laproscopic surgery was for a burst appendix, something that takes time to heal and is really (REALLY!) painful, not to mention very unplanned!

Good luck to him and let us know how it goes.

Hiatal Hernia

Hiatal Hernia Guide