Infertility / Fertility

Infertility / Fertility Guide

ask: What does a Progesterone level of 61.3 mean?

By Hanna

I've been ttc, been on 3 cycles of clomid, day 3-7 and pregnyl on day 12. This month my progesterone level on day 21 came back at 61.3. What does this mean? I was told that normal ranges from 3 to 50. Any assistance would be appreciated!!!

Hanna

Hi,

Thank u for the feedback. My cycle started on Friday, 11/12/09, was too down to come back here and actually write it... I so want to get pregnant.

This was my 3rd cycle of clomid. I haven't taken any this cycle as the doctor's on holiday and his partner says I should just keep trying on certain days of the cycle, he didn't want to provide a script for me to get another supply of medication although I was told originally we'd do six months of the treatment before going further. So.... I'm in limbo here...waiting for my doctor to get back.

One thing I can say, my period has moved up from 25/26 days to 28 days, I guess this makes timing more predictable although I don't know how long it will last or if it will go back to a shorter cycle.

Alison Beaver (reply to Hanna)

Hanna,
I'm sorry to hear your news, but thanks for letting us know!

Hopefully you know that it may not really matter how long your cycles are, since 25/26 vs. 28 days is not very significant, and these cycle lengths can ebb-and-flow naturally. It would be more significant to have such an irregular cycle that one cycle length is 31 days, then the next one is 24 days, etc., as many women frustratingly do. I'm sure you know all of this already.

The important thing to keep doing to have sex as "prescribed" by your doctor, I assume s/he suggested to have sex frequently throughout your cycle, regardless of what "day" or "cycle length" you are anticipating, as the frequency will be the key (in combination with your other methods), as you will undoubtedly have sex a few times during your most fertile period, without having to know if this next cycle is 25 days or 28 days or other variable.

We're hoping for your success, please let us know how you are doing.

Diane Porter

Hi, Hanna! Here is our Medical Advisory Board doctor's response:

There is a possibility of early pregnancy with that high a progesterone level but it is more in keeping with induction of multiple ovulation. It's quite possible that the higher than normal day 21 progesterone level is a sign that more than one egg has been stimulated to develop and released, as a result of the treatment you are receiving.

The best person to interpret the finding and to guide you to the next steps in testing is your physician.

Dr. Philip Sarrel

Have you had any more symptoms or tests, Hanna? What day is it now?

Diane Porter

Hanna,

Twins! double the fingers crossed, then!

I'll see if we can get one of the doctors on our medical board to comment on a progesterone level of 63.1 at this point in your cycle. It may take a few days, so hang with us -- you might get your own answer first! Please let us know if you do!

Hanna (reply to Diane Porter)

Thanks Dianne,

I decided I'll only do a test if I'm late........ don't want to be disappointed, but will definetly keep you informed. i look forward to hearing anything comments from your medical board.

Thanks for the assistance !!!

Diane Porter

Hi, Hanna!

Welcome to EmpowHer, and thank you so much for your question. Let's see if we can help.

First of all, I presume that you are being monitored closely since you are TTC and are on fertility meds? It seems to me that the doctor should be sure to inform you of what everything means all along the way. Did you ask for an explanation about the progesterone level?

Progesterone is a hormone that your body produces during the second half of your monthly cycle. It helps build up the lining of the uterus in case an egg becomes fertilized and needs to implant.

In a pregnant woman, progesterone also helps the fetus develop, and levels rise with each trimester.

Since you are on fertility drugs, your hormonal levels are shifting throughout the month, in response to the medicines. I know that you are hoping your high level may be due to a beginning pregnancy, but it's a bit too early to tell anything like that. (Although let's hope!!! fingers crossed!!).

Here's a good explanation of progesterone during your monthly cycle:

http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/progesterone-levels-1-week-after-o...

And here's a very good page on hormone levels from fertilityplus.org:

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html

And here's a general explanation of high progesterone levels (though again, yours is higher than the ones cited here):

http://www.natural-hormones.net/progesterone-high-levels.htm

And here is an explanation of high progesterone levels as well as some related symptoms, many of which would minic the signs of pregnancy (or, in another way, the signs of peri-menopause):

http://www.testcountry.org/reasons-for-high-levels-of-progesterone-in-wo...

Does any of this help? Will you come back and update us on what you find out from your doctor (and on your results this month?) Wishing you all the best.

Hanna (reply to Diane Porter)

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for the feedback.

My regular doctor is on leave for the holidays, spoke to his partner, whom I'm not familiar with. He did say it's an excellent read & I should be producing twins at this rate, but as you say, it's too early to know.

BTW, I made a typo on my earlier query, my reading is actually 63.1 NOT 61.3, so ....

My 1st read was 29.5 then 40.1 and this is 63.1, any comment from this history would really assist.

Thanks for alll your help, will advise further!

How many embryos do you think a fertility doctor should implant in a woman at one time?: