What EXACTLY constitutes a serving of fruit and or vegetables?

I am confused as to what one serving of fruit or vegetables is?
For example, if I eat one apple and 5 berries for breakfast and a veggie stew(with 5 different kinds of veggies) for lunch and a salad for dinner followed by another apple, how many serving of fruit/ veggies is this exactly? Is one apple a serving?
I think that a lot of folks don't quite understand.

Somewhere between 5 and 10 servings are recommended (it seems to change yearly!) so 8 would be a happy average to maintain. Smaller children need about 5 servings.

Thanks. I was just trying to figure out the amount I probably consume on a daily basis, inspired by your survey on fruit and veg servings.
If I were try to figure out the amount I eat per day, it would probably be about 8 servings a day.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "EXACTLY" part since being overly focused on 5 grapes, as opposed to 7 grapes is enough to make anyone give in and order pizza!

In general - a small piece of fruit (like an apple, pear, peach) is one serving. Obviously a pineapple or cantelope would not be one serving. And one of those huge bananas you see would be two servings. It pretty much comes down to common sense in terms of sizing foods up. Bear in mind also that dried veggies and fruits would be a half cup or less as they may shrink but still contain the fat and calories.

A half cup of cooked veggies or one full cup of leafy veggies (kale, for example) is a serving and one serving of diced or sliced fruit would be about a half cup.

So in general, a cup of leafy veg is a serving as in a small piece of fruit. Dried and sliced servings would be about half a cup. But counting berries or baby carrots etc down to the last one isn't necessary for a general, healthy diet.

Does this help?

Fitness Guide