What is a good treatment for the malasma skin condition?

By Anonymous March 7, 2011 - 10:16am

I have a skin condition in my face called malasma that I was told was the results of too much exposure of the sun. I found this puzzling because the one thing I do is stay out of the sun as much as possible. I was told it only took a small amount of exposure to be affected. In that case I would think that everyone would have the condition. What can I use to clear up the condition and get the most sun protection?that will help protect me from the sun and

Melasma is actually caused by several things including the sun. In fact, pregnancy commonly causes Melasma - often called "the mask of pregnancy". It's not a dangerous condition but does bother people who don't like to see dark patches on their face. It's often seen on the forehead or over the top of the cheekbones or on the nose. If one cheek is affected, the other often is too. Melasma is also caused by birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy (or even a thyroid condition) so if any of the above are linked to your lifestyle, then that's probably why it's caused - one of these things or a combination.

To help hide melasma, use a concealer or foundation. You can also try a chemical peel or a laser treatment if you like - both have seen success in seeing the dark patches lighten very significantly. A dermatologist may offer you a steroid cream to try.

Melasma generally (but not always) fades after stopping pills that are causing it, after pregnancy, after a thyroid condition is stabilized or by staying out of the sun. Just remember to keep using plenty of sun screen on your face and look into your options (as mentioned above) if you want to get it professionally removed.

I hope this information helps you!