Pregnancy Guide

ask: What happens if I miss one week of birth control pills? How long will it take for my body to adjust to the pill again?

By banditka007

Hello everyone,

I've been on Yasmin for about two years now, always took the pill on time. My question is this, I finished my period on Friday July 17th, on Sunday July 19th I was suppose to start a new pack of my active pill, however I was on vacation last week, and forgot my pills at home, and missed a whole week of my first week of active pills. When I got back, I started my first week of the pack on Sunday the 25th. I wanted to find out, will I be getting my period this coming up month, once I start taking the sugar pill? Will missing one week, and starting the new pack a week later mess up my body, and how long will it take for my body to adjust to the pill again? I'm not worried about getting pregnant, for I've been single for about two months, and not sexually active, I'm more worried about how long will it take for my body to get back on schedule with my periods and all. Thanks in advance for any inofmation you can share with me.

Anonymous

I have a question, I had my period last week and I am now six days late of taking my active pills, I am not sexually active but would like to know is, should I take my pills or just wait until I have period again and than take my pills again.

Anonymous

i have missed my birth control pill for 2 weeks i have taken a test today oct.23 and it was negative! what do i need to do?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your question.

Did you stop taking your birth control pills because you want to become pregnant? Have you had intercourse since you stopped?

You should have had break through bleeding once you stopped taking the pills. Wait and see if your period starts. If you do not get a period at all this month, test again.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello I got my period September 15 and started taking my birth control pills I took them for either two or three days but I was feeling sick so I stopped taking them this month I have not seen no period my period should have came October 13 took a pregnancy test on the 19 but it's negative could it be the pills or could I still be pregnant

Did you have intercourse during the time you were not taking birth control pills?

Birth control pills work by preventing ovulation. So, being off of the pills, you should have ovulated and gotten your period.

You could repeat the test or call your gynecologist's office to report what has happened. Your doctor can determine if a blood pregnancy test should be done.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I did have intercourse I took a blood pregnancy test on October 9 and it was negative. I'm just confused and wondering if I could possibly still be pregnant

Anonymous

I started my new birth control pills 2 days later than I was supposed to this month, so I had a 9 day break between active pills instead of the usual 7. Instead of taking two active pills for the first two days once I started the pack I have taken the normal 1 pill a day at my usual time. I have done this consistently for 3 days now, but am wondering if I should continue taking 1 a day for the rest of the month or if I should take 2 pills for the next two days even though I missed them a few days ago.

I am sexually active and am worried that I will not be as protected from pregnancy for the remainder of this month since I started this pack late and did not take the "catch up" pills in the first days that I started my pack.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice to give, I appreciate it.

Thank you for your question. The recommendation for making up for a missed birth control pill is to take the missed pill as soon as you remember and take the pill for that day. In other words, you should have taken two pills one day then two pills the next day, and then one per day.

I really don't know if you should take the two extra pills now. Check with the staff of your gynecologist's office. They are probably more knowledgeable about this than I am.

Regards,

Anonymous

I recently went on vacation and forgot my pills. I am in the middle of the active pills and have missed 5 days. It's a 28 day pack. This also caused me to have bleeding through most of the vacation even though I had a period the week before. How should I go about getting back on schedule?

- GA

Hi GA,

Thank you for your question. If you haven't done anything yet, I suggest you discard the used pack and start a new pack. You could confirm this suggestion with your gynecologist.

Regards,

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :