Pregnancy Guide

ask: What happens if I miss one week of birth control pills? How long will it take for my body to adjust to the pill again?

By banditka007

Hello everyone,

I've been on Yasmin for about two years now, always took the pill on time. My question is this, I finished my period on Friday July 17th, on Sunday July 19th I was suppose to start a new pack of my active pill, however I was on vacation last week, and forgot my pills at home, and missed a whole week of my first week of active pills. When I got back, I started my first week of the pack on Sunday the 25th. I wanted to find out, will I be getting my period this coming up month, once I start taking the sugar pill? Will missing one week, and starting the new pack a week later mess up my body, and how long will it take for my body to adjust to the pill again? I'm not worried about getting pregnant, for I've been single for about two months, and not sexually active, I'm more worried about how long will it take for my body to get back on schedule with my periods and all. Thanks in advance for any inofmation you can share with me.

Anonymous

Im on day 5 of active pills and i still have my period...is this normal?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for coming to us with your concern about continuing to have menstrual bleeding while taking five days of the active birth control pills.

Anonymous, how long have you been taking birth control pills?

Spotting or bleeding while on active pills: very common in the first cycle of pills or if pills are missed or taken late. Bleeding may be very light or as heavy as a period and may occur anytime in the cycle of active pills. Be sure to take your pill at the same time every day.

Spotting will usually improve as you continue additional cycles of pills and should not be occurring by the end of the third cycle.

Consult your gynecologist or the healthcare provider who prescribed the birth control pills if neither of these scenarios apply to you or you have further concerns.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi, I had got my period and finished my pack of pills. But i forgot to start the New pack. I started a new one the following week on a sunday. The week that I had missed the pill I had sex one time. It wad protected but unfortunatelyand unknowingly the condom was left inside me till the next morning. I checked the condom to make sure it didnt break and there didn't seem to br any holes in it. I am now in the middle of the last week in the new pack and i have not got my period yet. Could I be pregnant or is my period schedule just messed up ?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There may be some risk of spillage from the condom being left inside you (was it completely inside you?) but your risk still seems low. Take a pregnancy test if your period doesn't arrive in the next couple of days. 

Anonymous

Shelbybear13

Hi. I'm visiting my long distance boyfriend this Friday and to change my cycle (because I would have been on my period during my visit) I skipped two weeks of pills after my period and started a new pack last night (Sunday). What are the chances I'll be on my period next week while I visit him?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Shelbybear13)

Hello Shelbybear13,

I don't think you will get your period while you are taking the active pills.

Let me know if I am wrong.

Anonymous

Hi,
I have extremely rare menstrations due to my pcos, I have been prescribed progesterone to take to kick start a mense and to help me get pregnant. I ran out of pro, and have been still receiving my other prescription of loloestrin. I decided it was time to have a mense to clean my system out, but only took one pill before I forgot to continue. I took that one pill on thursday and its now tuesday and im menstrating. Is it possible to start a period after taking only one pill? Or is it that my body is finally beconing more normal (sensitive) after weight loss and being on synthroid? My hopes is to have a regular cycle and ovulate by the summer to get pregnant.

That one pill could have kicked off your period, although the recommended course is a better way. But there may be other factors like your medication for thyroid problems and losing weight. Because this has happened just one time, it's reason might be too hard to figure out until you can establish a pattern. 

Congrats on your weight loss and best of luck getting pregnant! 

Anonymous

I was unable to take my birth control for the first week and I tried to play catch up! I had unprotected sex a week after (two weeks after my period). Then I received my period a week early and I have been hungry a lot but I want to throw up when I eat. I have also had headaches and I'm tired no matter how much sleep I get....what is going on with me ? :(

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :