Pregnancy Guide

ask: What happens if I miss one week of birth control pills? How long will it take for my body to adjust to the pill again?

By banditka007

Hello everyone,

I've been on Yasmin for about two years now, always took the pill on time. My question is this, I finished my period on Friday July 17th, on Sunday July 19th I was suppose to start a new pack of my active pill, however I was on vacation last week, and forgot my pills at home, and missed a whole week of my first week of active pills. When I got back, I started my first week of the pack on Sunday the 25th. I wanted to find out, will I be getting my period this coming up month, once I start taking the sugar pill? Will missing one week, and starting the new pack a week later mess up my body, and how long will it take for my body to adjust to the pill again? I'm not worried about getting pregnant, for I've been single for about two months, and not sexually active, I'm more worried about how long will it take for my body to get back on schedule with my periods and all. Thanks in advance for any inofmation you can share with me.

Anonymous

Hi,
I missed 2 days of the first week of my pills. I was wondering how I start them again do I take all three today or do I start my week over today?? Any information will help and thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Hi, I forgot to take pills throughout the whole of week 2 of my packet, however i did take one in the middle of that week. I did have unprotective sex around 2 time during that week (once before taking the pill in the middle of that week, and once two days after that pill). I did take a pregnancy test today, it showed negative but it would be because it was taken too early to show whether pregnant or not. On the same day, after taking the test i had unprotective sex still forgetting to take the pill. What could be the chances of me getting pregnant?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your question.

Understanding how the menstrual cycle works might help you understand why it is so important to take a birth control pill every day, and at the same time every day.

The menstrual cycle is regulated by hormones,. Each hormone has a role to play and is secreted on cue. The synthetic hormone in birth control pills work to prevent pregnancy by mainly preventing ovulation.

When you miss one full week of taking the active pills, you cause a drop in hormone levels and can potentially trigger ovulation. Essentially, you have lost your protection.

Having sex during this time could lead to pregnancy.

An early response pregnancy test can be used as early as five days before your next period is expected to start. Otherwise, if you do not have vaginal bleeding within days of starting the inactive pills, test again.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi
I had a period the week before I went on holiday but did not take my pill with me on holiday. Whilst on holiday me and my partner had unprotected sex a couple of times but he did not ejaculate inside me. I started my pill as soon as I got back from my holiday. I normally have signs of my period a week or two before it comes. Sore breasts, small period pain like pains and back ache. I have had non of these and I am on my last week of taking my pill. Could I be preganant? How soon would a test show if I was? Thanks

Thank you for your post.

There is a chance that you could be pregnant. The number of missed birth control pills and when you miss taking them is important. Going seven days without an active pill, which contain synthetic hormones, increases your risk for pregnancy if you are sexually active.

Early response pregnancy tests are more sensitive than standard tests and can be taken as early as five days before your expected period. Or you could wait and see if your period starts while taking the inactive pills.

Regards,

Anonymous

Im on day 5 of active pills and i still have my period...is this normal?

Thank you for coming to us with your concern about continuing to have menstrual bleeding while taking five days of the active birth control pills.

Anonymous, how long have you been taking birth control pills?

Spotting or bleeding while on active pills: very common in the first cycle of pills or if pills are missed or taken late. Bleeding may be very light or as heavy as a period and may occur anytime in the cycle of active pills. Be sure to take your pill at the same time every day.

Spotting will usually improve as you continue additional cycles of pills and should not be occurring by the end of the third cycle.

Consult your gynecologist or the healthcare provider who prescribed the birth control pills if neither of these scenarios apply to you or you have further concerns.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi, I had got my period and finished my pack of pills. But i forgot to start the New pack. I started a new one the following week on a sunday. The week that I had missed the pill I had sex one time. It wad protected but unfortunatelyand unknowingly the condom was left inside me till the next morning. I checked the condom to make sure it didnt break and there didn't seem to br any holes in it. I am now in the middle of the last week in the new pack and i have not got my period yet. Could I be pregnant or is my period schedule just messed up ?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There may be some risk of spillage from the condom being left inside you (was it completely inside you?) but your risk still seems low. Take a pregnancy test if your period doesn't arrive in the next couple of days. 

Anonymous

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :