What happens when you miss one week of birth control pills? Is it normal for me not to get my period the following month?

By Anonymous January 7, 2015 - 9:10am

So I was taking my pills regularly for a whole month, I had my period at the end and I finished that pack. Then, I could not get to the pharmacy to get my next pack. I waited a whole week to start the next pack. Now, I am at the end of my new pack and still have not gotten my period. Is this normal? Does it take time for my body to adjust again since I am a week behind? I have had unprotected sex so I am totally freaking out. HELP PLEASE!

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for seeking our help.

When did you have sex? Was it during the week that you did not take birth control pills? If so, there is a good chance that you have not started your period because you are pregnant. In this case, I suggest you take a home pregnancy test today.

If you had intercourse during the time you were taking the pills, you would have been protected and should have started your period while taking the inactive or placebo pills.

Is this at all helpful?