What is life going to be like after a subtalar joint fusion already have upper fusion.

By October 28, 2011 - 9:10am

I have a upper fusion that didnt fuse back in the late 1990's and now I have degen. arthirits and other damage to my subtalar joint. Dr. wants to fuse this joint. I'm currious about how walking will be, what orthodics, shoes and etc are the best. Will walking, pushing/pulling and etc be an issues as I work in the healthcare field.
Thank you :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too and going through a similar situation and have wondered what shoes and orthotics
will be best for me after the surgery. I will be checking back here for more information on this topic. Thanks again!

Thank you so much! This is a great site I've looked at many things on here. I will read what others have experienced again thank you :)!

HERWriter Guide (reply to cowboysbutterfly)

I'm glad EmpowHER is helping you so much! Share us with friends or on Facebook - we like to get the word out! Post anytime you have a question - and feel free to give others the benefit of your experiences!

Hi cowboysbutterfly

Thank your for your post and welcome to EmpowHER!

If you want to talk with other women about ankle/foot fusions, you've come to the right place!

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what your life (in particular) will be like after your fusion because it's different with every person and it depends on the success on your operation. I will tell you (and you probably know!) that recovery can take a long time.

You will not be able to go back to work in a normal capacity (pushing, pulling gurneys, patients, wheelchairs or equipment) for some time.

Our fusion community is very active and full of information about footwear, orthodontics, walking aids etc. Our members and readers are a gold mine of information and support about all things foot-and-ankle; please join the team here: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/ankle-fusion-i-know-i%E2%80%99m-not-alone and read their stories and add your own. I think you'll find a lot of support here.

Please let us know if that's the right community for you or if you need additional information.

Our best to you,