ask: What is the likliness of a 20 year old female having a heart attack?

- 2o year old female
- had an EKG done recently and they said it came backgood
- was at hospital for chest pain they said it was chest wall pain, but now it feels like im having sharp pains in my back (top of my back)
- but feels like i was having some pain in the neck at the side i don;t know if its bc im thinking of it bc they said if any signs liek that occured to go to ER again or call 911
- also have anxiety/panic attacks

My name is yari I'm 22 with two children, I usually wake up every night with a jump and a racing heart some nights are usually worse. I once had my forehead feel extremely numb but decided not to go to the er because my family have a lot of history with anxiety. I can usually calm my heart down but it takes a lot. These seemed to pop up after I had my baby 7 months ago when delivering I had opted for an epidural the anesthesiologist seemed to have hit something they didn't throughly explain it and my blood pressure was raising or falling fast again they weren't explaining well I know I was falling out of consciousness and the nurse kept smacking me to keep me from going over soon I stabilized but I had to force my self extremely hard I had a lot of shoulder and chest pain and after I was on meds for a headache that felt like my skull was bring crushed but I didn't want to take them because I was breastfeeding so I had maybe one or two a day or else I couldn't do anything It felt bearable when I was laying but as soon as I stood up It felt impossible to even walk or see because how strong the headache was after I left the hospital I didn't take any pills for fear of any effects on baby it lasted 2 weeks before it subsided but it was excruciating my milk even dried up I leak clear liquid from my nose usually when I'm bending over or cleaning and that leads to a headache so I'm not sure what's happening to my body

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello yari,

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for reaching out to us with your serious symptoms.

The headaches and clear liquid coming from your nose, especially if it does not resemble mucus, have me greatly concerned. I cannot say if they are in any way related to the epidural given during childbirth, but I do feel this is abnormal.

This clear liquid from your nose might be cerebral spinal fluid, which is a clear, colorless liquid that surrounds and protects the central nervous system and bathes the brain and spine in nutrients, eliminates waste products and cushions them to help prevent injury in the event of trauma.

I urge you to contact your primary care physician today. You need an appointment to be evaluated as soon as possible. I think an evaluation with a neurologist is necessary as well as diagnostic testing including an MRI if the skull and nasal endoscopy.

Please keep us updated.

I'm 20 years old female & I've been having so much problems. Ever since I could remember I went to the doctor with hypertension and the doctors always say it's not normal for someone your age! As the years went and ever since I left high school I wake up in the middle of the night with a pounding heart that makes me feel like a heart attack that caused me to call 911 on multiple times. The paramedics and police come and look at me like a nut job. My doctor did some blood work this was in 2012 and the blood work came back fine, now in 2015 I'm having MORE symptoms I get NUMB all over the leg. I was beginning to think I had a circulation problem. Then in the morning I wake up with pounding heart and feel chest pains all over! No specific place and sometimes I feel this weight over my chest,! And now at the moment I had this pain in my right shoulder that got worse when I breath accompanied with chest pains. I just recently seen a cardiologist and they did a echo which came out fine, EKG normal, wore a heart monitor. They said that was normal but at certain times my heart rate would go up with mild excercise and when I get stressed, is that normal? They dismissed it at that and said everything is stress and anxiety related and I need to go on phsymeds but I am very hesitant over that because I hear bad things . Do I have a underlying problem? Is there more I should be looking out for ? Why do I have chest pains everyday? I'm probably going to get some up to date blood work today and I want to go to the ER but they keep looking at me like a NUT. And treat me like I'm stupid! I'm 140 pounds 5'4 I feel like my diet isn't good but I'm working on it. And I don't excercise. I also get frustrated upset really easy. I don't wanna make another trip to a ER with un answered questions. :( but I'm in real pain my family thinks I'm fibbing and attention seeking but I'm not! I feel like I'm dying and the look I get from medical professionals emmbarssing me! Idk what to do. I do feel better with Xanax occasionally, but my doctor won't prescribe because it's asddictive which I can totally understand. :/

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns. I want to speak with you honestly. I am not here to judge you or to make you feel uncomfortable. I don't think you are making any of this up, nor do I think you are an attention seeker.

You do need to work at controlling your weight. Look at it as a lifestyle change. Take it one day at a time.

Take a serious look at your diet. Replace one unhealthy food with a health choice. For example, if you snack on chips, trade them for raw carrots or an apple.

Downsize your portions. Drink more water. When you feel hungry in between meals, take a glass of water.

Increase your level of activity gradually. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk. Dance. Jump rope. Whatever you enjoy, do it every day. Start at 15 minutes and work up to 1/2 hour.

A healthy lifestyle now will prevent cardiac disease and type 2 diabetes in your future.

I think your symptoms of a pounding heart and chest pain could be anxiety related, because you mention that Xanax helps. Xanax is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders.

Anonymous, take a look at these tips for managing anxiety and stress from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America,

hello. I am 21 years old. last night I had a very scary episode. I had sharp shooting and aching pain from the left shoulder blade, down to my elbow, and even a little in my fingers. the pain made its way around my rib cage to the front left of my chest. I couldn't sit, lay, or even move it. terrible pain that left me in tears. was short in breath and nothing would help. finally took a pain pill and knocked me out to go to sleep. woke up feeling better but my left shoulder and arm and chest feel very sore/numb today..... any ideas?

Going to the ER would have been better than taking a pain killer.

Diagnostic testing and a physical exam done at the time of the symptoms would have given you an answer as to the nature or cause of the pain.

Do you have a history of any type of cardiac problem? Have you recently increased your level of exercise? Have you had a recent injury to your upper body?

I suggest you contact your primary care physician today and follow his or her recommendations.

I'm 23 and for the past 2 years or so, I've been to about every doctor in the book due to a consistent chest pain problem. I would present with the same kinds of symptoms listed here.. Chest pain in the middle/left side of my chest that would move to my left arm, causing tingling feelings and pain. I would have back and neck pain, and because we all have access to the wonderful (or anxiety-inducing) internet, I was convinced time and time again that I was DYING. I took several trips to the ER, saw numerous different doctors of different specialties: Cardiologist, gastroenterologist, internist, infectious disease specialist, acupuncturist (which surprisingly really helped!), and finally a physical therapist. I want to tell all you ladies reading this- no matter how silly you might feel, you should get a full work-up done! I heard time and time again that I had Costochondritis, and I just was convinced it had to be something more. In my case, I have realized its a muscular issue. My muscles are spasming in my chest (pectoralis major and minor) and they bother the nerves that are connected to my arm. Physical therapy really did help me.

I have to admit, although I am armed with all this knowledge that my heart has been thoroughly checked from numerous ER visits and a top cardiologist in NYC, I still to this day get anxiety when this pain happens. I'm constantly thinking, "Well what if this time its NOT muscular, and its something more serious and I ignore it and it ends up being too late!"... I'm currently going through this right now, but typing all of this out is reassuring to me- I am a HEALTHY, active 23 year old woman with little to no family history of heart problems. I hope my situation helps bring others some peace of mind, or some kind of guidance of things that you should get checked out. I had a wonderful primary doctor in New York who was not going to give up on figuring out what was wrong with me! And I have to say that its one of the most important things, finding a doctor who believes you and supports you in your recovery!

20 yr old female. Chest pains started a couple months ago and shoot down my left arm. Pain is on the left side of my chest. Ranges from a hard achy feeling to sharp pain and sometimes the arm pain feels like the circulation is being cut off. Been to the ER twice for the pain getting almost unbearable. Chest X-rays, ekgs, blood draws all were fine. D-dimer was a little high but ruled out PE. Nothing makes the pain better or worse. I have been given naproxen and reflux medication that have not changed anything. This pain comes and goes but is worrisome. It is not accompanied by shortness of breath or anything like that. I have not injured myself and like I said nothing makes it worse like moving my arm or whatever. I am taking metformin, birth control, and aldactone for PCOS. I take Dulera and Ventolin for mild asthma. Pepcid for occasional heartburn. I take Paxil for depression. I don't think the issue is stress related because honestly I am doing great and having an awesome summer. Besides this pain. They seem to keep brushing it off as pleurisy. Just want an answer not more pills!

I have been having chest pains for a while now they started around 5 months ago after I had my son and they came once a month and I dismissed it as an anxiety attack and went on about my business. This past week however it has been happening every single day without fail. It starts in the middle of my chest then spreads to my back and it feels like someone is trying to run me through with a knife repeatedly and it lasts for hours I go to sleep with the pain and wake up with it. Then it turns into what feels like a weight sitting on my chest and someone poking me as hard as they can in the back and eventually it turns back into excruciating pain. I went to the ER today and they did their blood tests and EKG and CAT scan and told me I was perfectly fine. I however don't believe it because if I was fine I don't think I'd be having this problem everyday. They told me I could follow up with my Dr and he could order more tests but honestly what would he be able to think of that they haven't already done. I need help but am honestly starting to lose faith in people who work in the medical field in my area. Any idea on what could possibly be wrong with me?

See my reply to your second post.

Heart Attack

Heart Attack Guide

Christine Jeffries

Do you know the differences between heart attacks signs in men and women? :