Heart Attack

Heart Attack Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: What is the likliness of a 20 year old female having a heart attack?

- 2o year old female
- had an EKG done recently and they said it came backgood
- was at hospital for chest pain they said it was chest wall pain, but now it feels like im having sharp pains in my back (top of my back)
- but feels like i was having some pain in the neck at the side i don;t know if its bc im thinking of it bc they said if any signs liek that occured to go to ER again or call 911
- also have anxiety/panic attacks

Anonymous

Hello, I am 20 year old female. I recently went to ER with chest pain and a heart rate of 114. They did a chest X-ray, blood work, urine, and an EKG. Everything came back clean. I went to my doctor the following day. Got another EKG and more blood/urine. EKG was fine and still waiting on blood work. I have a family history of heart problems and was born with an innocent murmur. I am not taking 25mg of beta-blockers every evening. Any thoughts as my doctor seems clueless. Thanks in advance.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

After reading your post, I think the comments and information given below can also be of help to you. Since there is nothing wrong with any tests, it could be due to stress or something else that the blood work may find. We can only provide general information for you for now. If you have more questions after your tests come back, please let us know! 

hi maam Susan,i have my niece who just recently was being hospitalize because she has a sudden hard breath and can not move her body.She is 14 years old.after her examinations,the result was clear only that,she has a hypertension.my question,is that possible for a 14 year-old teenage girl would have hypertension?she is not obese.she is skinny. thank u maam for giving time on my question.

Thanks for your post and I hope your niece is feeling better. 

Unfortunately yes, it's possible for children to have hypertension and their weight may have nothing to do with it. Also remember that skinny does not mean healthy. A poor diet and lack of exercise can contribute to hypertension too. She may not be eating enough or the food that she is eating has poor nutrition. 

Your niece may have an underlying condition that is causing this high blood pressure. 

Kidney or heart disease could be an issue, or something may be wrong with her thyroid. 

Make sure she is tested further to ensure her high blood pressure is not a symptom of something else. Please keep us posted! 

thank u very much for your very informative reply maam Susan. atleast now,we will be aware that any ages may have high blood pressure. And yes you may right that poor nutrition can caused it my niece family said they always eating salted and dried fish which most Filipinos fave dish.

Heavy salt usage can cause high blood pressure. Your niece needs to eat more fruits and vegetables where possible and her salt content needs to be drastically reduced. Talk to her parents about it. And thank you for being such a great aunt! 

Hello again, so yesterday at work my chest tightened and I had a sharp pain in my upper arm. Tell tale sign of a heart attack however I am on a beta-blocker that is supposed to help me not have a myocardinal infarction or a secondary heart attack. Can a 20 year old really have a heart attack from stress??? And, while taking a beta-blocker for that matter? I am no doctor.

Anonymous

I woke yesterday moring around 530 to what I believe was a anxiety attack but I'm still having the symptoms I woke up with and it is now 32 hours later. I have a sharp pinching sensation in my chest under my left breast I also have pains in both my arms and a numb feeling in both my arms as well I feel bloated and full as well . In only 20 years old could this be a heart attack? I have the implant in my arm for birth control and I've heard of it causing blood clots in the lungs and i guess it doesn't make it any better that I smoke. In really scared I have a heart condition or have had a heart attack.. is it possible that I had a heart attack? Or is it just anxiety?

Thanks for this post. It may well be the residuals of a heart attack but with numbness and the fact that you are on birth control and smoke - I wouldn't take the risk. Please see a doctor straight away. Will you keep us posted?

Anonymous

I was 19 just 4 months from turning 20 when i went to the hospital because of high blood pressure. I was 39 weeks pregnant. They told me they were going to induce that day but they kept me for 2 days before they finally had a C Section. The antibiotics and fluids they gave me during those two days filled my lungs and caused heart and kidney failure.

Do you know the differences between heart attacks signs in men and women? :