Heart Attack

Heart Attack Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: What is the likliness of a 20 year old female having a heart attack?

- 2o year old female
- had an EKG done recently and they said it came backgood
- was at hospital for chest pain they said it was chest wall pain, but now it feels like im having sharp pains in my back (top of my back)
- but feels like i was having some pain in the neck at the side i don;t know if its bc im thinking of it bc they said if any signs liek that occured to go to ER again or call 911
- also have anxiety/panic attacks

Anonymous

Hello, I am 20 year old female. I recently went to ER with chest pain and a heart rate of 114. They did a chest X-ray, blood work, urine, and an EKG. Everything came back clean. I went to my doctor the following day. Got another EKG and more blood/urine. EKG was fine and still waiting on blood work. I have a family history of heart problems and was born with an innocent murmur. I am not taking 25mg of beta-blockers every evening. Any thoughts as my doctor seems clueless. Thanks in advance.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

After reading your post, I think the comments and information given below can also be of help to you. Since there is nothing wrong with any tests, it could be due to stress or something else that the blood work may find. We can only provide general information for you for now. If you have more questions after your tests come back, please let us know! 

Hello again, so yesterday at work my chest tightened and I had a sharp pain in my upper arm. Tell tale sign of a heart attack however I am on a beta-blocker that is supposed to help me not have a myocardinal infarction or a secondary heart attack. Can a 20 year old really have a heart attack from stress??? And, while taking a beta-blocker for that matter? I am no doctor.

Anonymous

I woke yesterday moring around 530 to what I believe was a anxiety attack but I'm still having the symptoms I woke up with and it is now 32 hours later. I have a sharp pinching sensation in my chest under my left breast I also have pains in both my arms and a numb feeling in both my arms as well I feel bloated and full as well . In only 20 years old could this be a heart attack? I have the implant in my arm for birth control and I've heard of it causing blood clots in the lungs and i guess it doesn't make it any better that I smoke. In really scared I have a heart condition or have had a heart attack.. is it possible that I had a heart attack? Or is it just anxiety?

Thanks for this post. It may well be the residuals of a heart attack but with numbness and the fact that you are on birth control and smoke - I wouldn't take the risk. Please see a doctor straight away. Will you keep us posted?

Anonymous

I was 19 just 4 months from turning 20 when i went to the hospital because of high blood pressure. I was 39 weeks pregnant. They told me they were going to induce that day but they kept me for 2 days before they finally had a C Section. The antibiotics and fluids they gave me during those two days filled my lungs and caused heart and kidney failure.

Anonymous

hi,
i'm 20 yr old girl .i've been having pain on the left side of my chest ,i can feel the pain right behind my left breast,its been just two days,i was asleep but due to severe pain i had to wake up in the middle of night.I wanna know what it could be,is it something related to coronary atery disease ?! or is it GERD??? (sry for poor lang)... plz help!

Nothing is impossible but it's more likely to be GERD in a healthy 20 year old woman that heart disease.

However, GERD can be very hard on the body so you need an evaluation either way as we can't confirm what it is. Please call your doctor for an appointment and ask if it's a good idea to try some Zantac or other OTC medication for heartburn to see if it eases your discomfort.

Your symptoms are broad - do you have a history of heart disease? Or anxiety? Panic attacks can literally make people think it's their heart that is the issue.

With GERD, you should have heat in your chest and a burning sensation - do you have this? Let us know and we can advise your further. Also remember that while very unusual, young people can and do have heart issues so call your doctor if you get concerned in the meantime.

We look forward to hearing back from you,

i have shortness of breath, huge pain in the middle of my chest thats like fire burning. its radiating into my back, shoulders, and tops of arms. dizzy, very nauseous. i'm 20. is this a heartattack?

Do you know the differences between heart attacks signs in men and women? :