What medication is used to treat abdominal pulsating sensation caused by aortic aneurysm?

By Anonymous November 13, 2009 - 8:07am

My stomach throbbing keeps me awake at night, and only happens when I lay down horizontally.

Thank you for your reply. The pulsating is in my abdomen but only when I lay down. I don't have any of the other symtoms you have listed. I understand that it is an abdominal aortic aneurysm at 3cm. I have high blood pressure constantly. I am 83 years old, and I had a quadruple bypass 12 years ago. I just want to stop the pulsating sensation at night so that I can sleep better.

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

Is the pulsating feeling in your abdomen?

From our Encyclopedia, symptoms also include :

◦Pain in the abdomen or in the lower back
◦Boring, gnawing, constant pain occurring over hours or days
◦Sudden onset of severe stabbing pain
◦Unusual sensation of pulsing in the abdomen
◦Cough, shortness of breath (thoracic aortic aneurysm)
◦Sudden blood pressure drop, fainting (upon rupture of aneurysm)
◦Difficulty swallowing
◦Coughing up blood
◦Weight loss
◦Bowel obstruction
◦Chest pain

You can read a lot more about this condition on our Aortic Aneurysm page here :

Treatment for the pulsating feeling itself is less common than treating the aneurysm itself. An aortic aneurysm can very quite dangerous and depending on the size of your aneurysm or how severe it is, you can use beta blockers or be treated surgically to repair the part of the aorta that is damaged.

What has your doctor told you about your type of aneurysm or how large or small it is? Depending on these factors, you can begin treatment. What are you doing now for the discomfort?

Aortic Aneurysm

Aortic Aneurysm Guide