What non-medicinal treatments are there for insomnia?

By June 27, 2014 - 4:30pm

I'm looking for non-pharmaceutical aids in helping me sleep better. What is available? How do I know if products I haven't tried will work for me?

Hi Lindsay, Everything Susan writes is true and valuable. I'd only add that melatonin, it seems, only works for people who have a (slight) deficiency, or below-normal level. It seemed for a while like a magic bullet, but now we know why it didn't work for everyone. I formulated a blend of herbs that relax, and while Susan's right that you won't know what works for you until you try it, I feel confident in recommending it.

You can often find it at your local herbal store, or go to our website. Here are the Deep Sleep details:
Deep SleepĀ® Specific for inability to fall asleep, waking up frequently during the night with difficulty returning to sleep, waking up too early in the morning or experiencing unrefreshing sleep. Reduces sleep latency (amount of time required to fall asleep) and stops excessive mind chatter. Also for inability to fall asleep from tiredness, waking up groggy or tired, as well as for fitful and/or agitated sleep. Re-educates the brain sleep center and creates positive sleep patterns. It is not habit forming, has no side effects and does not interfere with REM (rapid eye movement) sleep.
Ingredients: Fresh California Poppy plant, fresh Valerian root, fresh Passionflower herb tip, fresh Chamomile flower, fresh Lemon Balm herb, fresh Oat seed in milky stage and Orange peel.
Suggested Use: Take one softgel or 30 drops with a little water one hour before bedtime and again at bedtime. Best results are achieved by the second or third night.

Hi Lindsay Brown

You will never know if a product will work for you until you try it. Unfortunately this can take some time as it's a trial and error process and I suggest giving each tactic at least a week to see if it works. 

Melatonin works very well for some people. Melatonin works because it's a hormone that helps to regulate what should be your natural sleep cycle every 24 hours. 

It can be bought over the counter but ask your doctor about taking it if you are taking any other kinds of medication. 

Is your room too hot or too cold or too light? Do you have electronic devices on at night? Practicing good sleep hygenine can guard against insomnia. Read more here about natural ways to gain good sleep in this excellent article by one of EmpowHER's bloggers:

Another thing to look at is why you are suffering from insomnia? Are you stressed, depressed, anxious or dealing with bad relationships?  Do you exercise late at night? 

Are you in menopause or around that age? You need to get to the root of your problem in order to solve it.  Evaluate your emotional well-being too see if this could be the root cause. Talk to your doctor or a very good friend if you think it is. 

Has this helped you, Lindsay?

Insomnia Guide