Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: What is "normal" when it comes to vagina (hymen) size?

I'm 21 and a virgin, and my boyfriend and I are talking very seriously about getting engaged. While I plan on "waiting for marriage", all the talk of getting married has made me wonder... What is "normal" for a virgin's "size"?
I think that I may be on the very small side, I can not fit two fingers inside myself (and I have very small fingers - ring size 4 1/2).
I have not ever even tried tampons - I don't think I'd get them in. I've also decided against pap smears until after I become sexually active, because I think I would be "broken" by it.

My concern is that sex will prove to be too painful, or even impossible. I have heard that some women need to have their hymens surgically severed just to make penetration possible.
So am I fairly normal or do you think this might be an issue?

Anonymous

hey.
one of my frnd took a pen inside.and a circular skin is now outside the vaginal opening ..is it fine..??

Anonymous

You should concrn a doctor as men are very serious about women vagina size they get more pleasure when women scream and they shou during intercose

Anonymous

I'm just glad to hear you weren't using a vibrator!! *NEVER* use a vibrator!! As an ob/gyn I've been running into vibrator-specific medical conditions more and more now that they advertise these products on regular television. It's ridiculous! The Trojan company is the absolute worst! Boycott Trojan! Regarding your masturbation via candle, NOT a good idea. Cervical cancer is my concern, candles contain carcinogenics such as toluene, benzene, and if manufactured in China, Lord knows what else! And fer-Christ's-sake, stay away from the electric toothbrush!

anitha884

I need to know about whether i have normal vaginal opening to have intercourse. And I am afraid that it will tear when my husband tries. His penis is not remaining hard for atleast ten minutes to try penetration. When i think im ready for that he is not. But i m masturbating nowadays with a finger or a candle with 1 cm dia. But im afraid whether it will break my hymen and prove myself to be not a virgin. He may doubt me in that case. But he used to insert his one finger in me. Then where is that hymen actually present in the reproductive system?

Alison Beaver (reply to anitha884)

Have you ever had a gynecological exam? I am sure you have a normal vaginal opening, and was just wondering if any doctor has mentioned any medical conditions to you?

You have brought up many issues, some that seem unrelated to the original question. Let me see what I can answer for you:
1. Women's hymens do not actually "break". Have you actually looked at your vaginal opening with a mirror? If you and your husband are able to insert a finger into your vagina, you can try inserting two fingers and see how that feels. Every women's sexual experience is different, and some women experience some mild discomfort with first intercourse, regardless if their hymen is still intact.
2. Some women are not born with a hymen that covers their vagina; other women's hymens eventually cover less of the vaginal opening through daily activities as they grow and mature. An intact hymen, therefore, is not "proof" or indication of any type of sexual activity or virginity. It is impossible to look at a woman, or her vagina, and know if she is a virgin or not...that is a myth.
3. Why is your husband unable to maintain an erection? You said that you are worried that you are no longer a virgin, and since you are already married, have you two had intercourse before? You said your husband tried to have sex...is he unable to because of his loss of erection, or because you are feeling pain? His loss of erection has nothing to do with how big/small your hymen is (or isn't).
4. Masturbating with a candle may not be the best tool, as some residue may be present.

Hope this information helps!

Anonymous

Diane Porter

Anon,

The hymen is a very thin piece of tissue; it's possible that it might have broken if enough pressure was put on it (even without penetration). It's also possible that you're spotting and it's just a coincidence.

Anonymous

i was intimate with my bf that day but he didnt penetrate, but my private part was sore and i found 2 little blood stains on d bed sheet i m just curious where does there 2 little blood stain coming from and can it be my hymen has already broken?i am still a virgin

Anonymous

I have found that we all can adjust or grow easilty.
I too had trouble getting a second finger in at first.
When I first had intercours with my husband I was scared to death as he is a huge man 6-7 250lbs and has a 10" penis thicker than my wrist. I found that when I lost my virginity to him I had no pain and was suddenly able to take all of it
Liz

Dear Anon,
I think you have been given some good information here. It is absolutely normal to be a virgin and not be able to fit more than a finger inside of you-- pain when doing so is normal too!
At this point it is probably hard for you to imagine how you could possibly have pleasurable sex when a finger barely fits (I have been there--I know!) Well, without getting too graphic, I also wondered how I was going to give birth to a child and I did it :)
Don't worry too much about the size, every woman was created differently.
I can tell you that the first time I tried using a tampon, I was extremely uncomfortable. I didn't do it right because I wasn't relaxed (and I had already lost my virginity). Good Luck to you, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

How do you control your PMS?: