What options are available to remove or diminish spider veins?

I know you can have them removed with injections but I have so many in my ankle areas that it would take an enormous amount of procedures and the cost would be exhorbitant! Is there any other way to remove them or at least diminish them? Leg makeup just makes your legs look like they're dead like the way the deceased are made up for their viewing. I even tried the Vitamin K which was a waste of time and money. Any thoughts you might have on this subject would be most welcome.

Thanks so much for your question. Spider veins are something many women deal with and I agree with you that the body make up is absolutely dreadful. I used the same kind of make up once to cover a tattoo and the patch of skin with the make up looked like it belonged in a wax museum - no, thank you!

For the benefit of some readers that may not be familiar with spider veins - Empowher describes them as "these tiny, 1 to 2 mm in diameter veins on the thighs, inner aspects of the knees or ankles in many women. They are blue or purplish or red in color, and they can be a line, or they can be in spider form so the name spider veins."

The injections you are talking about are called sclerotherapy, and this is the most common method of spider vein reduction. Sodium chloride is usually used and it is injected into the veins, causing them to join together and clot. The blood vessels then turn into nearly invisible scar tissue.

Have you considered laser therapy? Ideally, it works best when used in conjunction with sclerotherapy.
Here is a quick video we have on Empowher about the procedure -

However, laser treatments are becoming more and more effective so check out this possibility. While most doctors prefer to do it along with the sclerotherapy, new laser methods are improving all the time and you may find this is a treatment that works for you and you may be able to avoid the injections.

Without that make-up or treatment, it's difficult to minimize the appearance of spider veins. I think you may notice them more than anyone else, which is always the case! Wearing socks, hose or tights is an option or long skirts/pants. Spider veins are not a medical issue, fortunately, although I don't blame you for wanting to have them removed. For this reason, their treatment is rarely covered under insurance.

Would you consider checking into laser treatments?

Varicose Veins

Varicose Veins Guide