Kidney Disease

ask: what is this pain in my side?

I went to the er 3 weeks ago doubled over in pain located on my left side. The first time they told me it was nothing. The second time they told me I had a fatty cyst on my left kidney to follow up with a Dr. So I go to the Dr and they tell me it's a small mass on my kidney nothing to worry about it shouldn't cause any pain. Yet here I am still in extreme pain wondering what this is? I have a family history of kidney problems on my maternal grandfather's side including kidney cancer. I just would love to know why I'm in so much pain but no one seems to want to look into it.

Hi owllover88

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to read you're in this kind of pain.

It's very odd that a doctor would tell you that you have a mass on your kidney (the same place you are feeling pain) and to not explain it to you and tell you not to worry about it.

I suggest you go to a new doctor and explain your pain (and that it's not going away) as well as your family history. Tell him/her that you are not satisfied with the answers (or lack of) that you have been given so far as request further investigation straight away. While we cannot tell you what's wrong, your doctors should be taking this seriously and running tests to find answers. 

Please keep us updated and remember to be assertive!

~Susan

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: