Q: 

What is the probability that my Pilonidal Cyst will reoccur?

I am a 20 year old woman. I am not overweight. I am not hairy. And there was no trauma to my tailbone. Somehow, however I developed a pilonidal cyst. All of the reasons that they have for people to develop this kind of cyst I do not seem to have. I have reasons to believe that my case may be one of the rare cases where it is congenital. I did have a dimple, but it never bothered me, and I don't remember ever being without it. I am very worried that it could become inflamed again. When I went to the doctor, they administered me some numbing agent around the tailbone, and then drained the cyst with a needle. No gauze was used, or stitching, or extraction. Doesn't this leave room for this to happen by a greater percentage?

Anonymous

I am a 16 soon to be 17 year old female and I had a Pilonidal cyst last summer. They lanced it, and drained it, but I had a hole by my tail bone for two weeks and we had to change the gauze 3 times a day until it healed. Now, it is the summer of 2017, and I started to have pain back there again. I thought maybe it was ghost pains from my original cyst, but now I'm having thoughts that I got another one. Oh, the joy.

Anonymous

I'm a 20 years old had surgery for a pilonidal abscess about 4-5 months ago, open wound left with packing gauze 2 times a week or so, the surgeon told me the chances of getting it again are likely due to how deep it was (yay) now skip to today and I am lying on my belly typing this in a fair bit of pain, there is no visible lump and I can't really feel a lump although the area is red and tender to touch. Deciding on weather to go straight to the hospital or going to the gp but I have a feeling the go will just put me on antibiotics that won't do anything to help. Ahh the joys of a pilonidal abscess. :(

Anonymous

http://www.empowher.com/

I'm a 33 yr old female with pilonidal cyst. I first noticed it a couple of years ago when I would get severe pain under my tail bone and then feel relief after the pus and blood would discharge. After that, everything would go back to normal until it would occur again. This would happen every few months for a few years. In between I got it checked by a doc who told me I need to surgically remove it. I didn't take him seriously at that time thinking surgery for such a small thing.. And I just ignored it. 3 months ago, it became really bad where I couldn't bend, sleep or function.. I had to finally get the surgery done.. Because a big size was taken out, I got Seroma filled in that area which was even more painful than the surgery and I had to keep going to the hosp to get it drained. Unfortunately, since the time of the surgery, the last 3 stitches never healed. My doc tried silver nitrate (Omg pain), but it didn't work.. There was continuous discharge of pus and blood. My doc kept saying it'll heal but it's been 3 months now and it's not stopped. My doc gave up on me and referred me to a plastic surgeon who suggested a flap.. I wasnt comfortable with that and consulted another surgeon.. She got an ultra sound done for me where it confirmed that its a reoccurance and I'll have to do the surgery again. She said she'll keep the wound open and keep a suction in the surgery area to suck up the area. I don't know if i should actually go for another surgery or just stay on this way.. Coz after reading everyone's stories of multiple surgeries, it just seems that whatever you do, this keeps coming back... FYI, they do say it happens because of being hairy and overweight and I'm neither and most of the stories I've read are similar to me...

I have undergone 1st surgery and whee the cyst reappeared and the reason was stitches. For Pilonidal Sinus, you need to have open wound healing where the wound will heal by itself.
I had my second surgery and it's been 4 years now and i didn't have any problem (didnt reappear).

I was 17 when I had my pilonidal cyst removed. Previous to having, i had several falls on my tailbone in which they figured caused the trauma. When it was removed, it was almost the size of a golf ball. Let me say, it was very painful before, during and after surgery, not to mention embarrassing, especially when I had to carry a donut pillow everywhere i went for 2 weeks, as a senior in high school. I am now 36 years old and have not had any troubles since, besides the 2 stiches that grew skin around it and created a small pocket at the top of my crack.

Anonymous

I'm a 33 yr old female with pilonidal cyst. I first noticed it a couple of years ago when I would get severe pain under my tail bone and then something would burst inside and pus and blood would ooze out. After that, everything would go back to normal until it would occur again. This would happen every few months for a few years. In between I got it checked by a doc who told me I need to surgically remove it. I didn't take him seriously at that time thinking surgery for such a small thing.. And I just ignored it. 3 months ago, it became really bad where I couldn't bend, sleep or function.. I had to finally get the surgery done.. Because a big size was taken out, I got Seroma filled in that area which was even more painful than the surgery and I had to keep going to the hosp to get it drained. Unfortunately, since the time of the surgery, the last 3 stitches never healed. My doc tried silver nitrate (Omg pain), but it didn't work.. There was continuous discharge of pus and blood. My doc kept saying it'll heal but it's been 3 months now and it's not stopped. My doc gave up on me and referred me to a plastic surgeon who suggested a flap.. I wasnt comfortable with that and consulted another surgeon.. She got an ultra sound done for me where it confirmed that its a reoccurance and I'll have to do the surgery again. She said she'll keep the wound open and keep a suction in the surgery area to suck up the area. I don't know if i should actually go for another surgery or just stay on this way.. Coz after reading everyone's stories of multiple surgeries, it just seems that whatever you do, this keeps coming back... FYI, they do say it happens because of being hairy and overweight and I'm neither and most of the stories I've read are similar to me...

Mine was reoccurring and my doc finally used a wound vac to ensure infection gone
I have a 'tail' of all scar tissue which causes minor pain at times but haven't had another abcsess in 10 yrs

Anonymous

I am male, not at all hairy and tend to keep myself pretty fit and active despite being a large lad. At the time I was 23 years old, I used to get a slight swelling pain on my coccyx which would keep swelling until it discharged. I thought it was some painful spot and was always too embarrassed to seek help or speak to a Doctor. However the frequencies of the cyst was more and more to the point it was a couple of times a week it would come and go. I saw a Doctor, I had the cyst cut and drained on 2 separate occasions in 2008. The problem never went so in 2010 I had a 6-7 inch long incision cut from my coccyx, removed all of "the stuff" and had it stitched and packed. About a week later all stitches split and ended up taking 3.5 months for it to heal and to be at a state where i could slowly go back to work. 2011 the problem came back and I was referred to another hospital for surgery number 4, they performed the same large incision but didn't stitch it up this time, another 3 months of recovery. I have been reliably informed that op number 4 actually stopped the pilonidal sinus however I had so many big ops that the area on my coccyx was full of dead and infected skin and nothing between my skin and tail bone (all had been removed). I was referred to a specialist surgeon up in London in 2012 and had a Limberg Flap Procedure (see Google for pics and explanation) the recovery was long and very painful, my bum permanently scarred and almost disfigured. complications from the above procedure meant I needed to go back for Op 6 in 2013 by the same surgeon and hospital, this appeared to finally be rid of the problem. However in Sep 2014 I had signs of the same problem but on my perineum, a lot smaller and because I had it seen too within days of first discovering, the surgery was minimal and recovery was around 2-3 weeks. I am happy to say that the problem (touch wood and fingers crossed) has finally gone. For something so trivial this is the most painful and long drawn out saga I have ever had and wouldn't wish it upon anyone. My advice get the matter seen to immediately, forget about being embarrassed as I have most probably been dealt with then and there. Not 7 ops over 6 year span, losing jobs, not being able to hold down work, depression, self esteem issues and putting on weight as was down and not able to exercise or do any sports I like to take part in. I hope all of those on here have either recovered or will recover, this hurts, is horrible and I know what you're all going or been through. Thanks.....Dan.

Anonymous

I'm 38. Had my first pcyst while 8 months pregnant in 1999. I was 20. It was lanced and packed with gauze. Painful experience each time my husband had to clean and repack the area. It had not returned again until 2010 or 2011. Lanced again but no packing with gauze. Only folded gauze into affected area and taped larger gauze over area. It's 2017 and the Pcyst has returned. I could feel pain in the area as early as Feb 2017. Saw doctor and got antibiotics. That seemed to work as the pain subsided. Recently, Tuesday in fact....I was sitting in a poorly padded seat for a period of 2-3 hours. I did little to no body weight shifting. When I arose I noticed extreme pain in the tailbone area. Pcyst seems to have formed as a result of this incident. I did bruise my coccyx at age 10 or 12. It looks like Pcyst is forever. I'll do my best to keep watch on how I'm sitting and I've gotten a coccyx cushion now. I'm in pain as I type lying on my belly. These cysts are the worst. I very rarely get sick or need medical attention except for when the pcyst shows it ugly head. I'm hirsute, female, overweight, and previously had tailbone injury.

Anonymous

I am 29 and have had 3 emergency surgery incision and drainages of what is believed to be a piliondial abscess all though all 3 times there was only a massive infection to be found and every time I wasn't taken seriously until I could no longer walk. My absecess are on both sides of the tailbone which is extremely unusual im told and they are both the size of a grapefruit and they have never drained on there own. The abscess' have only gotten more infected to where I can not receive efficient treatment and am experiencing blood poisoning from the infection. The pain is beyond horrible to where I can't move or even walk. I am scheduled for a full cyst pocket removal with a wound vac very soon and have the worst anxiety over it. My doctor has said a full removal of the cyst pocket and surrounding material will cause it to not recur and prob is the only way to keep it from coming back. It is my understanding after literally going through hell year after year that removal of the entire cyst sac and surrounding area is the only cure for this. After multiple specialists, surgeons, dermatologist and several theories I fear I am out of options except to have a baseball size or larger worth of flesh removed and left open for months to heal. I'm extremely sorry for each and every one of you as I know how extradiniaely painful these can these get let alone they're frustrating and embarsssing. Good luck to you all. Find a colon rectal surgeon who will listen and take care of you!

Pilonidal Cyst