Q: 

What is the probability that my Pilonidal Cyst will reoccur?

I am a 20 year old woman. I am not overweight. I am not hairy. And there was no trauma to my tailbone. Somehow, however I developed a pilonidal cyst. All of the reasons that they have for people to develop this kind of cyst I do not seem to have. I have reasons to believe that my case may be one of the rare cases where it is congenital. I did have a dimple, but it never bothered me, and I don't remember ever being without it. I am very worried that it could become inflamed again. When I went to the doctor, they administered me some numbing agent around the tailbone, and then drained the cyst with a needle. No gauze was used, or stitching, or extraction. Doesn't this leave room for this to happen by a greater percentage?

Anonymous

I am 29 and have had 3 emergency surgery incision and drainages of what is believed to be a piliondial abscess all though all 3 times there was only a massive infection to be found and every time I wasn't taken seriously until I could no longer walk. My absecess are on both sides of the tailbone which is extremely unusual im told and they are both the size of a grapefruit and they have never drained on there own. The abscess' have only gotten more infected to where I can not receive efficient treatment and am experiencing blood poisoning from the infection. The pain is beyond horrible to where I can't move or even walk. I am scheduled for a full cyst pocket removal with a wound vac very soon and have the worst anxiety over it. My doctor has said a full removal of the cyst pocket and surrounding material will cause it to not recur and prob is the only way to keep it from coming back. It is my understanding after literally going through hell year after year that removal of the entire cyst sac and surrounding area is the only cure for this. After multiple specialists, surgeons, dermatologist and several theories I fear I am out of options except to have a baseball size or larger worth of flesh removed and left open for months to heal. I'm extremely sorry for each and every one of you as I know how extradiniaely painful these can these get let alone they're frustrating and embarsssing. Good luck to you all. Find a colon rectal surgeon who will listen and take care of you!

Anonymous

I'm 28 and I started feeling a lump with occasional pain when I would bend over or sit but when I had to leave work early due to unbearable pain I went to the doctors the next day and got diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst two days ago but was told to take antibiotics and do warm compresses. Well I didn't get the antibiotics until the next day but still did the compresses, and it started draining on it's own before I even got the chance to take the antibiotics. Now I'm concerned it might come back and I don't want to go thru that pain again. Oh and all of this happened within a week's time

Anonymous

I am 30yr old female and have had my P.cyst since I was 17....it still festers and breaks to release the pressure.....it gets a little better every year with the length between and the pain....but never fails to rear its ugly painful head :/...sorry

Anonymous

I also am 23 and I am too not over weight , no trauma to my tailbone and had a demple as well in the top of my butt crack that eventually lead to a pilonidal cyst which was surgically removed . It's been 2 years almost and I just found a small painful bump on the top of my incision. I'm so scared.

Hello Anon

See your doctor, it may have returned. These cysts don't always occur to heavy people who are hairy although that is often the case.

Anonymous

I am a 28 year old female and i have had a pilonidal cyst since i was 18. I have had it lanced 3 times and it continued to come back. I recently had surgery about 8 months ago to have it removed, but i have noticed the same symptoms coming back. Inflammation, redness, and pain in the area at my tailbone. All my doctor is telling me is that the surgery was in a "weird" spot and it will take a long time heal. My dad had the same cyst when he was in his twenties and i believe that it is hereditary. It is very uncommon for a female to have a pilonidal cyst and that maybe i have pilonidal disease. Basically, i believe that i'm going to be dealing with this for the rest of my life. I take Epson salt baths to soothe the pain when it is inflamed, but that only helps so much. There have been reports of, not only hair found, but teeth and bone have been in these cysts. Long periods of sitting doesn't help either. It is a very annoying and painful medical issue that i feel will never go away for some people. Take anti-inflammatory meds (i.e ibuprofen) and that should help, but sometimes you need to cseek medical attention if the pain does not go away after a certain length of time. At that point, another lancing may need to happen.

Thanks for sharing your story, Anon.

I'm sorry this is something you're dealing with on an ongoing basis and interesting that your Dad had to deal with this too.

I do hope it ends for you permanently, however - ten years of this is just awful.

Anonymous

My cyst is not pilonidal because it is on my lower right back and it's hairless. My dermatologist told me to use hot compresses to drain it, which worked. I am very sensitive to hormonal fluctuations; I don't think that it's a coincidence that my cyst grew biggest (about the size of a pingpong ball) when I was estrogen-dominant aka progesterone-deficient. It (and the depression that came at the same time) didn't recur after I started on bioidentical progesterone until perimenopause when I was estrogen-dominant again. I haven't had a cyst since I've balanced my hormones post-menopause. Our highly chemicalized world exposes us to high levels of estrogen. Bioidenticals can create balance (after trial and error to figure out doses) and are available from a compounding pharmacist. CBW

Anonymous

I am a 19 year old female and five months ago I developed a large pilonidal cyst below my tail bone. I wasn't aware of what it actually was until I started to faint (from the unbearable pain). I thought it could be fixed with some antibiotics and baths etc. As you see on Google.
After multiple fainting episodes, I was taken to the ER and one of the nurses said I needed to have surgery ASAP as it the cyst was highly infected. They made an incision and removed the contents and it took 2 months to heal from the bottom up. That healing method allows the wound to have a LOWER chance of infection, as I was told. Anyways, my recovering went quick and less painful than it was when I had the cyst. 3 months on from surgery and I am experiencing the uncomfort of a cyst in the same area. There is redness and I can feel a small marble sized lump underneath my scar. I am going to my GP tomorrow to get a referral to see my surgeon. I really hope this is a one off. I do not want to experience this pain again. Better to get onto it quickly! Surgery was worth it, but the recovery time is costly.

Did you go see your doctor? I am 4 months after my surgery to remove my 2nd pilonidal abcess within 3 months ( Christmas then in April when I got the op) and I am now feeling discomfort and what your experiencing. When I got my op it was also an emergency as I was In excruciating pain that when I took a bath to help I had to get my boyfriend to lift me out because it was so sore :( I to am hoping it isn't coming back.

Pilonidal Cyst