Sleep Disorders

Sleep Disorders Guide

ask: What is the right room temperature to sleep at?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter

I love piling on blankets when I sleep. Sometimes I wake up sweating. Is there an ideal room temperature to sleep at? I'm afraid that my body is working overtime when I sleep!

Hello Jenny Housh,

The temperature of the room in which you sleep and how comfortable you feel in it affects how well and how long you will sleep.

“When you go to sleep, your set point for body temperature -- the temperature your brain is trying to achieve -- goes down,” says H. Craig Heller, PhD, professor of biology at Stanford University.“Think of it as the internal thermostat.” If it’s too cold or too hot, the body struggles to achieve this set point."

Recommending a best temperature is difficult because what is comfortable for one person is not for another. A typical recommendation is to set the thermostat between 65 to 72 degrees Farhenheit.

Regards,

Do you keep electronics out of your bedroom to help you sleep?: