What should I ask my gyno

I haven't been to a gyno since my mom took me in my teens (a few years ago).

I don't have any problems but what questions should I ask my gyno to get the most out of the appointment.

Thank you for your question! 

It's good to have some questions lined up for your doctor - make sure you find out some family history, if this is pertinent. 

Here are some questions that an empowered patient should ask:

What can I do to ensure my continued health - are there self-administered checks I can do? Ask to be shown how to administer these checks. 

Bearing in mind my family history - what are my risks for developing certain conditions or diseases? 

How often should I come in for a check up?

Also ask about birth control options, pregnancy (if that is something you'd like to try for down the road) and fertility and make sure you know the risks and benefits of sex. 

And never, ever have unprotected sex with someone you are not monogamous with (and preferably this person will have had a recent exam for infections or diseases). 

Seeing this kind of doctor isn't just about the physical aspects of your reproductive system. Your gynecologist may also have information on keeping yourself safe against abuse and signs to look for. Ask for these. Also talk about sexual dysfunction anytime that is a problem for you. 

Additionally, check out our HerRadio section where you can relax and listen to some excellent podcasts about all aspects on women's health. I'll start you off on "The 9 Most Important Questions to Ask Your Gynecologist" (copy and paste this into the search option on the top left hand side)- this goes hand in hand with your question here. 

Will you let us know what you think?