What signs tell me if my spouse is suffering from depression?

He has not laughed from his heart. He seems more checked out. What signs tell me if he is suffering from depression? What should I do?

Thanks for your post and I am sorry you are dealing with this. 

Depression is a mental illness marked by feelings of profound sadness and lack of interest in activities. Depression is not the same as a blue mood. It is a persistent low mood that interferes with the ability to function and appreciate things in life. It may cause a wide range of symptoms, both physical and emotional. It can last for weeks, months, or years. People with depression rarely recover without treatment.

Symptoms of depression include:

Loss of pleasure
Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
Irritability, restlessness
Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
Fatigue and decreased energy
Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
Overeating, or appetite loss
Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.

Anon, it's really important to talk to your husband about what is going on. Tell him you love him and want things to get better for him. Ask him if he will see someone and that you will go with him, if that will help. Don't let this go any longer. 

Will you keep us updated?

Depression Guide