ask: what is survival rate of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Anonymous

If you follow all your doctor's orders before, during and after what is the cure rate with IBC

Anonymous

I had invasive ductal carcinoma. I had very dense breasts so it was not seen on my mammogram. Four months later while raising my arms I saw a flat spot. Only when raising arms. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and HER2 positive. 6 nodes were positive, 2 grossly positive (ruptured and into tissue). I had 28 lymphnodes removed and a lumpectomy. 12wks of intense chemo, 6 wks of radiation and 52 wks of IV therapty of herceptin. After 14 months, I made it! I focused on boosting immune system and prevention after that. It has been 6 years this month. I will be participating in a breast cancer presentation today. Prevention is important, but I believe some of your future is just destiny.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. xoxo

BonnieIBC

There doesn't have to be a lump to be cancer. IBC has sheets/nests within the breast tissue and skin. My type breast cancer is very rare Inflammatory BC and the statistics are 20-40% live to 5years. Well when I was diagnosed IBC it sounded like a death sentence, but as time went by and getting through treatments (chemo/mastectomy/radiation) I prepared for the worst but hoped for the best....I got my house in order and gave away all my things and made final arrangements, which doing this gave me a sense of peace about things...that was 4 years ago, thanks to the Lord.
Statistics change and we are all different, so try not to focus on the stats.

valery

I was diagnosed with IDC in 2001. Stage 1, found the lump during a monthly self exam. I had a modified radical mastectomy and 4 rounds of AC chemo. Went on tamoxifen for 4 years and have been cancer free for TEN years. I never ever miss my mammo and this year I was told to have a MRI also, had some pain. It was clear and the pain is most likely due to scar tissue from the reconstruction. Please to all my sisters, have your mammo. If you expect anything is abnormal with your body, get it checked out. Find a GYN that you can tell 'anything'. Make her your private friend, one that will listen to all your woes and pains. You never know when that one little lump, as mine was, is something other than a problem. I had cystic breasts, this felt different. Hard, didn't move around. Check those boobs. Val

figuredancer (reply to valery)

I'm a 48 yrs old female, diagnosed with clinically stage 2 breast cancer, invasive ductal carcinoma . I will receive treatment soon through Cancer Sloan Kettering Memorial Center, NY that includes chemo, surgery & radiation.

I work from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. in an administrative position with a government agency, doesn't need any physical work to perform. However, my work is about 30 miles away from home.

I want to know from other unfortunate chemo recipients if I will be able to drive and work during treatment? Also how fatigue are the symptoms of chemo therapy and radiation? The surgeon told me I will be able to work, and I will meet the medical oncologist next week.

They will test my lymph nodes this week if they are also affected by cancer, if lymph nodes are cancer free then should I refuse chemo? I was previously seen by another surgeon & he also recommended radiation and chemo both along with surgery.

I've husband & children and I want to spend a quality life with them. Please help me with your advises and keep myself & my family in your prayers.

Anonymous (reply to figuredancer)

Hi Sister! I am 39 years old and mother of 2 kids. I was diagnosed with breast cancer ( triple negative duct invasive stage 2 b) February 2015.It was devastating ! But later we need to accept the really and fight ! God is in control! You have your whole life in front of you ! Just few months chemo and taking care of yourself is the most important critia now! Chemo is draining but doable ! I am at my 2nd one. I am taking homeopathy medication to reduce side affects like naseu . Don't think Cancer as a big rock just treat it as a feather! I am fighting through it and will overcome in few months so do you! Believe and have FAITH IN CHRIST! Rest is history! After 20 years from now you will look back and see how blessed you ARE! All The Best!

Anonymous (reply to figuredancer)

In December 2009 I received the same diagnosis as you now have. Firstly, I'd like to say 'Wow! What a positive and proactive woman you sound like, and very intelligent asking others for their feedback!" And secondly, yep, very good reason you should sound positive- you have an excellent chance of surviving this!

I had a lot of family and friends recommend all sorts of radical treatments etc.. But then I did my research (I'm an Educational Researcher, and all of the programs I utilize at work are based firmly on 'data and research'- not on comments from randoms like, 'a friend of mine drinks green coffee every morning and didn't need any treatment', up to the more ridiculous, 'I know this spiritual advisor who can lay his hands on your breasts (yep, I bet he bloody does!), and his positive thoughts eradicate the cancer!' Obviously you're an intelligent woman, and listening to the Professionals is the best way to go. They told me I needed surgery, chemo, radiotherapy followed my hormone treatment. I researched and as expected- all of the data/research said this was PROVEN to be the most effective treatment.

Please, feel free to seek a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion (from SPECIALISTS- I did), but they all came back with the same advice. Here I am nearly 6 yrs later flying high and cancer free! I've also met women who declined the treatments (or some of treatments- no one wants Chemo or Radio- but PLEASE trust me- do it!!! These treatments are nothing like they were in the past! They have amazing meds that mitigate a hell of a lot of the previously negative side-effects!
And geez- take EVERY treatment they recommend!!! I met a number of women who hadn't taken the chemo option- only to have it return! Kick the cancer's arse STRAIGHT AWAY!!! Think long-term.

I was lucky I had Income Protection Insurance so didn't have to work. Being honest, I bet your surgeon has never had breast cancer treatment- she's/he's an idiot thinking you can work 'normally'. It IS exhausting. IF you HAVE to work (I met a number of women in this situation), ensure your work-place is aware you may need to 'lay down' at times to 're-envigorate' yourself, etc.. My hubby had to drive me to most of my Chemo and Radio appt's- as I was not quite 'switched on' enough to drive.

I had very bad, 'chemo brain'- (strange that they've only just recently recognized this DOES exist!) Get your priorities right- you ARE #1 right now. I am an avid reader, but during my 9 mths treatment, I couldn't read more then a few words before I 'lost track'. Hopefully you won't have it at the same degree I did. I'm sure you will find a work colleague or two who will help you through this if you have a similar problem.

Most importantly, be easy on yourself, and don't beat yourself up over not doing things as 'well' as you did pre-dx (you DO improve quickly after treatment!).

You mention wanting quality of life with your family- remember, quality won't be A1 for a short period of your life, but it will still be AMAZING! Quantity is what you should now be focusing on- PLEASE do ALL of the treatments- yep, not fun, but geez, you have obviously caught it early, even if in your lymph nodes (like me), it can be stamped out.

From your writing, you seem like such a caring individual who is worried about your family. It will be hard, but do put yourself first for the first time ever. Forgive my waffle, but my heart goes out to you, as do my prayers. And I've never been wrong with this one- I KNOW you will come through strongly! x

Diane Porter

Hi, Anon. Welcome to EmpowHer, and thanks very much for your question.

As with all cancers, the survival rate changes depending on when the cancer is found (what stage it is in and whether it has spread to any lymph nodes), when treatment is started and how successful the treatment is for that particular patient (for instance, whether surgery produces clear margins). Two patients with identical cancers might have very different experiences depending on when it's found and when and how it's treated.

With Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, if it has not spread to the lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is about 98%. If it has spread to the lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is about 85%.

IDC is the most common kind of breast cancer; the Mayo Clinic says that about 70 percent of all breast cancers are IDC. It begins in the milk ducts and "invades" the tissue surrounding them. (Please know that that's an entirely different thing from when you hear that a cancer has spread to the lymph nodes or has metastasized.)

Here is some more information on IDC:

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-cancer/types-36003-5.html

http://breastcancer.about.com/od/types/p/idc.htm

Are you asking for yourself, or for a loved one or friend? Is there more information I can provide for you?

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

Am asking for my sister,diagnosed with IDC but no sign of lump, but was bleeding from the right breast, please does it mean that it has spread or there is hope.

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide

Have you been tested for BRCA gene mutation?: