ask: what is survival rate of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Just received my positive diagnosis last Thursday....it was my first mammogram...I am 41. Scheduled for MRI and surgical consultation. I am absolutely terrified. I know that it is IDC, but not what stage it is at or whether any lymph nodes have been compromised. Any advice would be lovely...lol...my first thought is to just get them both removed as to reduce re-occurrence risk as much as possible.

If you follow all your doctor's orders before, during and after what is the cure rate with IBC

I had invasive ductal carcinoma. I had very dense breasts so it was not seen on my mammogram. Four months later while raising my arms I saw a flat spot. Only when raising arms. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and HER2 positive. 6 nodes were positive, 2 grossly positive (ruptured and into tissue). I had 28 lymphnodes removed and a lumpectomy. 12wks of intense chemo, 6 wks of radiation and 52 wks of IV therapty of herceptin. After 14 months, I made it! I focused on boosting immune system and prevention after that. It has been 6 years this month. I will be participating in a breast cancer presentation today. Prevention is important, but I believe some of your future is just destiny.

Hey, still going strong! I am now going on 9 yrs cancer free. Last year I had a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy to decrease my chances of recurrence. I felt I was beating the odds and wanted to take the last step. Im happy with my decision. No more mammograms for me.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. xoxo

There doesn't have to be a lump to be cancer. IBC has sheets/nests within the breast tissue and skin. My type breast cancer is very rare Inflammatory BC and the statistics are 20-40% live to 5years. Well when I was diagnosed IBC it sounded like a death sentence, but as time went by and getting through treatments (chemo/mastectomy/radiation) I prepared for the worst but hoped for the best....I got my house in order and gave away all my things and made final arrangements, which doing this gave me a sense of peace about things...that was 4 years ago, thanks to the Lord.
Statistics change and we are all different, so try not to focus on the stats.

I was diagnosed with IDC in 2001. Stage 1, found the lump during a monthly self exam. I had a modified radical mastectomy and 4 rounds of AC chemo. Went on tamoxifen for 4 years and have been cancer free for TEN years. I never ever miss my mammo and this year I was told to have a MRI also, had some pain. It was clear and the pain is most likely due to scar tissue from the reconstruction. Please to all my sisters, have your mammo. If you expect anything is abnormal with your body, get it checked out. Find a GYN that you can tell 'anything'. Make her your private friend, one that will listen to all your woes and pains. You never know when that one little lump, as mine was, is something other than a problem. I had cystic breasts, this felt different. Hard, didn't move around. Check those boobs. Val

figuredancer (reply to valery)

I'm a 48 yrs old female, diagnosed with clinically stage 2 breast cancer, invasive ductal carcinoma . I will receive treatment soon through Cancer Sloan Kettering Memorial Center, NY that includes chemo, surgery & radiation.

I work from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. in an administrative position with a government agency, doesn't need any physical work to perform. However, my work is about 30 miles away from home.

I want to know from other unfortunate chemo recipients if I will be able to drive and work during treatment? Also how fatigue are the symptoms of chemo therapy and radiation? The surgeon told me I will be able to work, and I will meet the medical oncologist next week.

They will test my lymph nodes this week if they are also affected by cancer, if lymph nodes are cancer free then should I refuse chemo? I was previously seen by another surgeon & he also recommended radiation and chemo both along with surgery.

I've husband & children and I want to spend a quality life with them. Please help me with your advises and keep myself & my family in your prayers.

Anonymous (reply to figuredancer)

Hi,I had treatment in Sloan,still do.I had my bilateral masectomy done in NY and then moved my chemo treatments to Basking Ridge NJ (also MSK)cause it was alot easier for me since i live in NJ.You asking if you will be able to go to work after treatment, im not working ,but i have 3 year old and 1 year old, and i couldnt care for them..i need it all help i could get.I was lucky i didn't throw up,but my body was completely down and i got depressed with AC treatment. With Taxol got better,easier. That's when i was able to start back again to care for my babies.Now im doing HP treatment and hormonal pills.If you ever want to talk please feel free.After im done with rads,i want to do some alternative treatments to detox the body and strengthen my immune system.I wish you all the best.God bless!Ewa

Anonymous (reply to figuredancer)

Hi Sister! I am 39 years old and mother of 2 kids. I was diagnosed with breast cancer ( triple negative duct invasive stage 2 b) February 2015.It was devastating ! But later we need to accept the really and fight ! God is in control! You have your whole life in front of you ! Just few months chemo and taking care of yourself is the most important critia now! Chemo is draining but doable ! I am at my 2nd one. I am taking homeopathy medication to reduce side affects like naseu . Don't think Cancer as a big rock just treat it as a feather! I am fighting through it and will overcome in few months so do you! Believe and have FAITH IN CHRIST! Rest is history! After 20 years from now you will look back and see how blessed you ARE! All The Best!

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide

Have you been tested for BRCA gene mutation?: