Middle Back Pain

Middle Back Pain Guide

ask: What type of doctor should I see for mid-back pain?

By melissahopson

My family physician has not been able to help me. I've had x-rays, a bone scan, an MRI, and tons of blood work. I don't know where to go to get help.

Coach Virginia

Have you considered seeing an accupunturist? If the tests your doctor ordered did not show anything unusual or abnormal, I would consider looking into energy flow disruption.

alysiak

Have you ever actually been referred to a neurologist, or to an Orthopedic surgeon? There are some issues an Osteopath might not be qualified or experienced enough to determine.

Hi Melissa

I was recently referred by my PCP to a DO - a doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. She evaluated my back and gave me the exercises I need to do in order to deal with my chronic back pain.

I would see a DO for your pain before seeing a chiropractor. To see exactly that an osteopathic doctor does, see our section on osteopathy here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/osteopathic-manipulation

How long have you had this pain?

Let us know what happens - please keep us updated.

melissahopson (reply to Susan Cody)

I suffered a series of medical problems from October 2008 - January 2009. I was unable to work during this time. I returned to work January 21st. My back pain began about a week after returning to work. The pain is in the middle of my back. There is always a dull ache there. The longer I sit or stand, the worse the pain is. I can actually point to the place on my back where the pain radiates from. It's about two centimeters to the right of my spine in the middle of my back. I have sharp pains in that spot. I know that sounds like nerve pain, but I am currently taking neurontin for occipital nerve damage in my neck. It doesn't help my back pain. I had to take a leave of absence from work, because the pain was so intense. I've been at home resting for about three weeks now. Resting and heat help to relieve my pain, but the minute I stand up and try to do a little house work the pain returns.