what withdrawal symptoms can I expect if I stop taking the daily ropinirole I was prescribed?"

By September 3, 2012 - 6:13am

I've been taking a daily dose of ropinirole for about a year now for Restless Legs Syndrome. I really want to stop taking it because of the side effects it gives me. I cannot go back to the doctor who prescribed it to me (my primary care physician) as we have moved away. I also don't have any current doctor as we are desperately broke. I won't be able to go to any doctor so I will have to self-treat I guess. What withdrawal symptoms can I expect if I stop taking it? I have not taken the daily pill for the last 2 days because I was concerned that you must take it at the same time every night. I didn't think it would be a big deal but now I've read online if you miss more than 1 dose you should stop taking it and go to the doctor? Is this true? Can anyone advise me on what to do?

Hi irisc

Thanks for your question.

The only thing I can find for you is general information on the Internet, like "Do not stop taking ropinirole suddenly or change your doses, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as fever, muscle stiffness, and confusion. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication"
Read more at http://www.drugs.com/mtm/ropinirole.html#qb40IxsVTRliwf0e.99

I think it's a good idea to talk to a pharmacist (free) about withdrawal and any risks involved or find a 1-800 number for the makers of this drug and ask to talk to a patient hotline/information center. 

Restless Legs Syndrome