Muscle Injuries

Muscle Injuries Guide

ask: What is wrong with my left foot?

By Rheyanne Weaver HERWriter

For the past couple days the side of my left foot has been killing me! There is a sharp, throbbing pain, and it's near the middle of the side of my left foot, maybe more toward the back. It's not in my ankle area at all.

Anyway, I've been having to put more weight on my right foot and I've been pretty much limping. I'm hoping it will go away but by Friday if it hasn't, I will probably call the doctor. I will try icing it tonight.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what the problem could be?

Anonymous

I am having the same problem and it's killing me. I have recently started fastwalking for 30 minute twice a day. HELP!

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Hi Rheyanne - Just following up to see how your left foot is today, and what you've learned about the cause of your pain. Hopefully you're feeling better.

alysiak

If you've been walking more than "usual," it's possible that you could be suffering an overuse injury.

If your shoes don't provide enough support, your foot muscles may just be feeling strain from weakness. There are exercises to help strengthen your foot muscles.

It's good to know that you've not had stress fractures, also often caused by overuse.

See also: Treatments for foot pain

Hope this helps!

Rheyanne Weaver HERWriter

I haven't been exercising much, though I've been walking more. I've been trying to wear more sturdy shoes and avoiding flip flops. Maybe I will try wearing running shoes tomorrow to see if that works better. And I don't think I've ever had a stress fracture.

alysiak

Hi, Rheyanne:

There are several things that could be root cause of such pain, and a few conditions that might fit the symptoms.

Can you associate this pain with any particular activity, like running or some other impact sport?

Did it start after wearing a particular pair of shoes?

Have you ever suffered a stress fracture?