What is your experience with an epidural for labor & delivery?

By April 21, 2009 - 1:12pm

My friend is due to have her second child in a few months, and still has not decided on what type of pain-reducing measures she wants to take for this labor & delivery.

She is planning on having a vaginal delivery, and has decided that she would like a pain management plan of some kind...but is unsure what that would be. She would prefer not to deliver her baby the "100% natural" way, or if she did, wants a few other options.

What was your experience with pain management during delivery, and are you happy with your choice? Would you have changed anything? She welcomes all thoughts and opinions...thanks!

I had a pain medication free delivery with my first, with the use of pitocin to bring on stronger contractions as my water had broke and labor did not progress up to the hospitals "standards". It was an 18 hour labor, and it hurt. A lot.
I had an epidural with my second when I was 5 cm, and once I got the epi I progressed to 10 within an hour. This was a wonderful, peaceful 6 hour labor.

Like Susan, my first delivery was not as expected. The epidural had to be administered twice, because it didn't take the first time; I was registering 8 on the Richter scale, but not dilating and my baby was going into stress. A little over 20 hours after labor began, we finally had a bouncing baby boy.

My next 2 deliveries were by C-section, by doctor's choice to save both baby and me from a repeat of the first delivery.

Everyone is different, therefore we all have different experiences. But, let's face it: labor hurts.

One word of advice: do everything your labor nurse tells you, avoid eating or drinking anything she advises against. Or, your DH may be rushing home for a change of clothes, LOL!

Hi Alison

I opted for a natural birth (with a stipulation that medication be available if labor was very lengthy/painful or I simply changed my mind.)

Unfortunately I had to be induced at 42 weeks due to having no amniotic fluid and the medication used to induce (pitocin and cervadil) has the side effect of labor complications.

At about 23 hours into my labor, I opted for an epidural. I was just exhausted and was trying to stop yelping and screaming with the pain. The epidural fell out, it was administered again and finally took and it was a great relief.

Several hours later my uterus became very infected so I had an emergency c-section and was very disappointed. I wanted a normal birth after all that work!

In the end, it didn't matter, the baby arrived safely although I remained in hospital for a week, my infected uterus took a long time to heal.

Never did another natural birth, I did c-sections from then on.

Most women I know have had great experiences with pain relief. Your friend just needs to make sure she has her birth plan handed over and needs to make sure that her husband knows her wishes in case she becomes to tired or distracted to let her wishes known. He will need to be on her same page.

I wish her the best of luck!

Labor & Delivery

Labor & Delivery Guide