What's the Best Birth Control For Women Older Than 35?

By May 21, 2008 - 10:57am

Found a great article yesterday about birth-control options after middle age. Apparently teens and women around 35 have the highest rates of unexpected pregnacy. azcentral.com reports that next to tubal ligations (or their partners' vasectomies), these are common birth-control choices for women 35 and older, says gynecologist Andrew Kaunitz of the University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville.

• Low-dose oral contraceptives ("the pill").

• Transdermal patch (Ortho Evra).
• Vaginal ring (NuvaRing).

• Intrauterine devices, progestin-releasing (Mirena) or copper (ParaGard).
• Injectable progestin (Depo-Provera).
• Implant (Implanon).

If you're over 35, which birth control option are you using?

not a concern!

After 3 kids in a row I said "heck, let's have another!" and my husband looked like a frightened rabbit. So he offered to make an appointment with a scissors and I graciously allowed him (!).

I'm wondering how women feel about getting their tubes tied versus a man getting a vasectomy? A tubal ligation is invasive and very painful whereas the Snip is pretty harmless and my husband felt nothing.