What's the difference between greek yogurt and regular yogurt?

By HERWriter Blogger June 23, 2014 - 5:16pm

Is there a nurtitional difference between greek style yogurt and regular yogurt? Is greek yogurt really better for you? What about other styles like icelandic yogurt, or using different types of milk (coconut, soy, almond) to make yogurt? Are the benefits (and probiotics) the same?

HERWriter Blogger

Hi Susan! 

Thank you so much for your helpful response! This definitely gives me a better idea about the differences between greek yogurt and regular yogurt. I never realized how many more health benefits greek yogurt has. I'm going to try to eat greek yogurt more often now!

Thanks again! 

Hi Erin! 

Great question! 

My personal jury is out on some probiotics being better than others. Most marketing on this topic right now is that some probiotics have been evaluated far more deeply than others and this fact is touted as meaning they are better. Are they? Not necessarily, not until we know more about probiotics - something that has only become mainstream in the last decade or so.  What we do know is that probiotics really do help with our gut - and gut health (digestion) is becoming more important as our diets become increasingly processed. 

As far  as yogurt goes, Greek yogurt is different because it's from Greece. 

Ok, just kidding. Greek yogurt is actually better for us for two main reasons - it is far lower in sugar than regular yogurts (do you know that some regular yogurts have nearly as much sugar in them as a can of regular Coke?) and Greek yogurt has nearly twice the protein as regular yogurts, making it great for vegetarians like me and my children which is why I know it's so much better than us. We have no meat or chicken to get protein from.

It's also lower in carbs and salt. Yes, plenty of salt in yogurt.

So all in all, Greek tops regular any day of  the week.

Soy is also good for protein and for vegans who do not eat dairy. Same with coconut as it's also dairy free. What is also great about these is that they still have all the live cultures (probiotics) that other yogurts have and are a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant.  No racing to the bathroom after a health yogurt snack there!

Many are gluten free too, for celiacs. Also, many regular yogurts have gelatin in them so aren't vegetarian, something many vegetarians don't know! I check labels to be sure. 

Has this helped?

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide