What's going on with me?

By Anonymous December 10, 2014 - 4:29pm

I tried to conceive on August 8 2014. My period ended up being almost 3 weeks late. It was very light and only about 3 days long. September and October were normal 5-7 day periods. I didn't have one in November. Last week I started spotting only when I wiped. Then back to nothing. What us going on with me?!

Can someone help me please. I had brownish spots on and off from 2/12/14 to 11/12/14. My full period came on 12/12/12. When is my first day of monthly period? Secondly is this normal ? Thirdly how do I calculate my ovulation period.

It sounds like you may be one of the many unlucky women with irregular periods. Some women can never know when their period is going to arrive. 

A normal menstrual cycle is between 21-35 days. 

Gynecologists typically agree most irregular periods are benign. They’re usually caused by some sort of hormonal imbalance. Monthly periods are susceptible to highs and lows in our emotions and health. Simple things like illness or travel can bring on irregular cycles.

Stress – this includes drug use and reliance on caffeine and alcohol – can lead to irregular periods. Medications, such as birth control, may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, skipped periods or no periods at all. Other causes can be recent childbirth, miscarriage, a D&C and even breast-feeding.

Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) usually don’t ovulate regularly. With PCOS, high levels of estrogen are generated but no eggs are released. The excessive estrogen stimulates the uterine lining to thicken to a point where it must be released. However women with this condition aren’t having what are considered “real” menstrual periods since they’re not regularly ovulating.

Another cause may be your thyroid.When thyroid hormones are off balance, a wide range of symptoms can result, including irregular periods.