Q: 

What's going on with my menstrual cycle? Could I be pregnant and still have bleeding?

By May 1, 2012 - 6:58am

I am 32 and have 3 children. I am not on any birth control and my periods are always on a 28 day cycle. They are always heavy with a lot of clotting and last between 4-6 days. On 4/2/12 I started what I figured was my period but it was really light. My husband and I also had sex the same day with a possibility of an "oops." I prepared for a heavy flow with a pad and it didn't get anything on it all day. I only had blood when I wiped. It wasn't as light as spotting but I have never had such a light period. The next morning it was pinkish brown when I wiped. Halfway through the day it was completely gone. I never had that happen before. I did a bunch of searching online and it sounded like implantation bleeding. I didn't want to freak out so I said I would wait until my next period to see. Now I did notice that I didn't have any cramps or tender breasts at all this "period(?)," which is strange because I also get really bad cramps and sore breasts every month. That was actually really nice for a change. The day after it was over I started having sort of period-like cramps for 10 days straight with no period. I was about to call the doctor because it was so weird, but then it stopped. On 4/28/12 I had spotting no cramps or sore breasts. One time I wiped and it was very small amount of pink tinged with just a little bit of brown streaks. It was only one time that day and one time the next day 4/29/12. Then nothing else until about 1 pm the next day 4/30/12. I actually went to WalMart and bought a pregnancy test and as I was walking out the door to leave and I felt the period starting feeling. So I haven't used it yet. I am now having that really light flow period like I had on 4/2/12 but have some cramping now. It is 5/1/12 and still having this really light period. All of this is very unusual and I have never ever had anything like this before. I was excited for a minute thinking I might be pregnant (even though I am not really trying to get pregnant) but now I am worried something is wrong "down there." Has this happened to anybody else? Any advise? I have a doctor appointment later this week but I am worried.

Anonymous

Wondering If Someone Can Relate To What I Am Experiencing My Menstrual Cycle Came Two Days Early 5/18/2017 I Normally Come On Around The 20th Of Every Month For 3 Days Now I Am Barely Filling Up A Tampon For 5-6 Hours And No Blood When I Wipe Or Urination Only On Tampon....Could It Be The Tampon Is Stopping My Menstrual Flow ? This Has Never Happened I Normally Spot Before My Actual Flow But This Month Is A Little Different

Anonymous

Last month started spotting 4 days before AF then stopped. took hpt (bfn). Had light bleeding for around 2 and half day after that. didn't retest. Had uprotected sex on 29 of April in my fertile window. AF is due today 05/16. had very light pink/brown spotting for 2 days b4. Last night had brighter pink/red blood and today it's only when i pee or wipe. have nausea/vomitting for last few days has been the worse, back aches, headaches, dizziness, light cramps. very tender sore tingly breast/nipples, vivid dreams, moody, very emotional. Don't know whats going on. HOping i am pregnant but just very confusing and concerned.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Two consecutive months of spotting instead of a normal period may indicate that you are pregnant.

You can either repeat the home pregnancy test or just call and schedule an appointment with your gynecologist.

A blood hCG test can be done. If you are pregnant, you will want your physician to know about the spotting.

Keep us updated,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Took hpt today bc spotting stopped yesterday but BFN. I don't understand...

Thank you Maryann....today is basically same way..not much on pad and there every now and then when I wipe but only slightly discolored from a normal wipe for urination.. I could probably get by with a pantiliner all day honestly it's very light and nothing in toilet water when I do urinate...also no cramping and very emotional I don't know if I could handle a bfn again I cry if I'm happy or sad right now and least little things set me off idk I have headaches but thats nothing unusual I suffer from migraines as well. My appeitite is very little right now I have nausea Lot especially mid afternoon oh it's awful. Idk i may wait til weekend see what happens and retest then just all so frustrating

Thank you Maryann for your advice...today still basically same thing. Not much bleeding coming through to the pad some but not a lot. I could probably get by with pantiliners honestly...anyways, when I wipe there's very little discoloration to the urine and there is nothing in toilet except urine color I known tmi...lol. Not cramping do have headache but I deal with migraines a lot too so I'm...I'm really confused and I am scared to retest lol if that makes since I don't like the negative repsonses I keep getting as everyone knows. I'm really a basket case right now with my emotions anyways the least little thing I'm in tears happy or sad...

Anonymous

Hello, my period came 6 days late but not a normal flow, only when I wipe...However, last week I noticed that I have a dried white substance on my nipples ?:I? I have regular pms issues - backpain, cramping, headaches, fatigue, full/ tender breasts etc...But is the dried substance from my nipples wierd and cause for concern?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I would say it is a concern. Call and speak with your gynecologist or primary care physician about your unusual period and the white breast discharge.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi it has been over a year since I had an erpc, since my periods have been lighter than they used to be, they used to be 2-3 days with a moderate flow end of day 1 and day 2 and lighter otherwise. Now when I get my period which is every 28 days i could go without wearing a pad, and the blood only flows out when I wee, there are no clots but it is like turning in a tap and when I finish urinating it stop, when I wipe there is bright red blood on the tissue, but if I wipe again there is nothing till I wee again

Hello Anon

That's a very different kind of period; talk to your gynecologist - I have never heard of a period that happens only when a woman urinates.

Tags: