What's going on with my menstrual cycle? Could I be pregnant and still have bleeding?

By May 1, 2012 - 6:58am

I am 32 and have 3 children. I am not on any birth control and my periods are always on a 28 day cycle. They are always heavy with a lot of clotting and last between 4-6 days. On 4/2/12 I started what I figured was my period but it was really light. My husband and I also had sex the same day with a possibility of an "oops." I prepared for a heavy flow with a pad and it didn't get anything on it all day. I only had blood when I wiped. It wasn't as light as spotting but I have never had such a light period. The next morning it was pinkish brown when I wiped. Halfway through the day it was completely gone. I never had that happen before. I did a bunch of searching online and it sounded like implantation bleeding. I didn't want to freak out so I said I would wait until my next period to see. Now I did notice that I didn't have any cramps or tender breasts at all this "period(?)," which is strange because I also get really bad cramps and sore breasts every month. That was actually really nice for a change. The day after it was over I started having sort of period-like cramps for 10 days straight with no period. I was about to call the doctor because it was so weird, but then it stopped. On 4/28/12 I had spotting no cramps or sore breasts. One time I wiped and it was very small amount of pink tinged with just a little bit of brown streaks. It was only one time that day and one time the next day 4/29/12. Then nothing else until about 1 pm the next day 4/30/12. I actually went to WalMart and bought a pregnancy test and as I was walking out the door to leave and I felt the period starting feeling. So I haven't used it yet. I am now having that really light flow period like I had on 4/2/12 but have some cramping now. It is 5/1/12 and still having this really light period. All of this is very unusual and I have never ever had anything like this before. I was excited for a minute thinking I might be pregnant (even though I am not really trying to get pregnant) but now I am worried something is wrong "down there." Has this happened to anybody else? Any advise? I have a doctor appointment later this week but I am worried.

Anonymous

Hi
I started having pinkish discharge and wen I wipe I see red blood,I get cramps but my period is due in 2weeks and the discharge comes and goes and its day 3. Please what's going on

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The menstrual cycle is regulated by a precise balance of hormones. Any changes or upset in this balance will cause a change.

How old are you? Has this ever happened before? Have you had unprotected intercourse since your last period? Are you using any type of birth control?

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi

I had protected sex in Nov about 6 days after my period. My period came in December like normal but then in January it was late by 3 days, heavy the first 2 days then almost nonexistent the 3rd day and ended. My period normally lasts 5 days, what does this mean???

Hello Anon

It doesn't really mean anything; just that you had a lighter period this month. This can happen to anyone; it's doesn't signify pregnancy.

Anonymous

Last month on more than one occasion I had unprotected sex. I missed my period last month and this month on the 4th I woke up with heavy bleeding like it was the start of my period. Yesterday I had no bleeding at all and today im having just lighy pink bleeding when I wipe. Im having cramps which I normally dont have unless my period is extremely heavy. I've been extremely tired the last few weeks. Could there be a chance im pregnant? I did take two pregnancy test one before my period and one 4 days after my missed period both were negative.

Hello Anon

If you are bleeding, with two negative pregnancy tests, then it's highly unlikely you are pregnant. Get a blood test to confirm this at the doctor's office and talk to him/her as to how to increase your chances if you are irregular.

Anonymous

I had an ectopic pregnant June 2016. I've had 3 cycles since. Now I am on my 4th cycle but it's weird. I woke up with cramping so I figured I was getting my period. When I wiped there was red blood so I put a pad on. Then the period disappeared. When I wiped I would get some slight brown discharge but that's it. The next day same thing..I didn't see actual blood until 8pm. Today is day 3. I get some brown discharge on my pad and when I wipe I see more red and brown blood/discharge but that's it. My period is always heavier than this. I'm not sure if this is implantation bleeding (we've been TTC but I think it might be longer and heavier than just spotting?) or if this is just my period this month and it's by just being weird. I took a test this morning and was negative. My cycle just started being consistent the last few months. Day 46,34,33 and this one day 30. What do you think?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I think you should contact your gynecologist about this.

Regards,

Anonymous

Last month I had a one day period. It was dark brown. I usually have three day periods. This month it came and it was dark then bright with some clotting. I am on the fourth day but bleeding only when I wipe. Is this normal, especially the one day period?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

If this is not how your period normally presents, this is not normal for you.

Speak with your gynecologist, who know you, how old you are, and your medical history.

Regards,