What's wrong with me????

By Anonymous April 16, 2010 - 10:23am

Hi, I am 21 years old and I started my cycle when I was 11. My period has never been regular, I have my period every two-three months and it's extremely painful the first or second day, it lasts between 7-15 days. Every now and then I get lower pains in between periods, and sometimes I have large blood clots (half a golf ball size). I am very worried and never got this checked out because I am afraid of what it may be....the pain is so intense to the point I lose my breath sometimes. This can't be normal...I know no one else who experience their cycle the way I do....any clue? Cause I have none. I even wonder if I am able to get pregnant. Seems like that's impossible too.

First let me say that you are not alone! I know several women that have had experiences similar to what you are going through, myself included. I am not a medical professional but I can tell you that I had similar issues, random periods, large clots, lots of pain, etc. After years of avoiding the OB/GYN out of fear I went in and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS. In a nutshell I have cysts on my ovaries, and I don't always ovulate. I makes my periods awful. I'm not saying that you have this, but you do need to see a gynecologist. Female problems, in my opinion, do not go away on their own, and you need to see a medical professional for help. A gynecologist will likely suggest birth control to regulate your periods, and I can tell u from experience that it helps. Don't be afraid, you are not alone! Good luck!

Dear Anon

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I understand how you don't want to see someone about this. It feels easier to do nothing and hope for the best, rather than face up to things.

However, you really DO need to see someone. You may not have any serious problems at all, or you may have a condition that needs attention.

You may be dealing with something called PCOS - Polycystic ovary syndrome. I'd like you to take a look at our PCOS page here and tell me what you think. http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/polycystic-ovary-syndrome

I also think the possibility of endometriosis is there for you. From our Encyclopedia:

Endometrial tissue is found only inside the uterus. The uterus is the reproductive organ where a fetus develops. Hormones cause the tissue to form there, preparing the body for a fertilized egg. If you do not become pregnant, the tissue leaves the body during menstruation.

In endometriosis, endometrial-like tissue is found outside the uterus. For example, it may be found on organs in the abdomen or pelvis. In these places, the tissue still responds to hormones. It swells, breaks down, and bleeds. But it is unable to leave when you menstruate. Surrounding tissue becomes inflamed. There is often scarring.

Risk Factors
A risk factor is something that increases your chance of developing this condition. The following may be associated with endometriosis:

Family history, a mother or sister with endometriosis
Early onset of menstruation
Not having children—Pregnancy slows or stops the disease from progressing. The condition usually resolves at menopause . The symptoms may return with hormone replacement therapy .
Prolonged menstrual bleeding (more than 7-8 days)
Abnormal development of the uterus, with a blocked segment

Symptoms range from mild to severe. You may have many large growths with little pain. Or, you may have small areas with intense pain.

Symptoms include:

Cramping and pelvic pain (especially just before and during menstrual bleeding)
Pain during sex
Heavy periods
Low back pain
Pain during bowel movements or urination

Please read more on our Endometriosis page here where you can also read about treatment options : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/endometriosis#definition

Anon, spending your time in pain and worrying about your health is no way to live. You really deserve to know what's going on and to start some treatment and make sure you return to optimal health. It may be scary in the beginning, but I think you'll regret not going and will really do yourself the best favor by making a call to a health care provider to see what's going on, especially if you'd like to have a child later on.

While we cannot make any kind of diagnosis, we do recommend you delve in some more to see what going in with your body. Irregularity, pain and discomfort is your body's way of asking your for help.

We wish you the best and please update us!

Hypermenorrhea Guide