What's wrong with my cycle?

By April 6, 2015 - 10:21am

I have a 54 day cycle, give or take a few days.
It wasn't always like this and I don't have insurance so I'm just looking for some guidance since I work in retail and can in no types of way afford going to an OBGYN.

The facts: 1. I have a severe anxiety/stress/panic disorder.
2. I have had to take the plan B pill twice in my lifetime (I am twenty-four).
3. I was on birth control for about a year from 2013-2014 (early '14). I had to stop taking it because it was making my disorder much worse and I didn't want to go through the physical and mental tolls of switching to different ones in order to find what would work for me, if any.

4. This cycle only started this past summer of '14.

Before and after my period I get cramps and lower back aches but while it happens I barely feel any of these symptoms.

I'm worried because I never really know what's going on with me down there. I'm always paranoid about if I'm pregnant (I have protected sex 95% of the time with my boyfriend, but I am allergic to condoms so sometimes if it gets way too irritated for me down there we use the pull out method. Stupid of me, I'm aware. But these are the facts.)

Are there ways to fix my cycle without having to take BC or anything else provided by an OBGYN? Would I be able to find something at a local GNC, perhaps?

Any help/information would be much appreciated. I always check on Google, but the questions women ask about cycles long like mine, still aren't me. Every body is different, I just wish I knew what was up with mine.

Hi Kat!

Thanks so much for reaching out to EmpowHER. 

I think you know this already but I do have to tell you that nobody can tell you what's going on without an examination and a blood workup.  That's just a fact. Otherwise all we can do is assume things or give out possibilities which is probably all you've gotten from google too.  

I think it's pretty clear that a hormone imbalance is possible. Also possible is that your stress and anxiety is affecting your menstrual cycle. It often does. 

What are you doing about your mental heath, Kat? Are you getting some kind of treatment?

Here are some videos for you to take a look at - some mention menopause but it's all about natural ways to help your hormonal balance: 

For supplements:

For food:

Kat, there are free and sliding scale clinics all over the US. Google free clinic (they don't all just focus on STD's!) and put your zip code in too. 

Many of these clinic help with reproductive care and mental health and I think it'd be good to talk to someone about both. You won't go into debt.

Start looking here:

Let me know what you think Kat - there is help out there and I do think you need to professional care as well as advice about diet and nutritional supplementation.