What's wrong with taking hormones?

By March 10, 2011 - 10:46am

More and more women feel that they are under attack because they use hormones. Some doctors even chastise patients for choosing hormones, stating that hormones would probably cause breast cancer. Has anyone else experienced this? Or just what is your take on this subject?

I began getting increased menopausal symptoms in the midst of extreme life challenges and heard that this is common. I checked into the bio-identical hormone thing and was told that ObGyns refer to it as the 'yam scam.' (My hormone levels weren't even low.) If you think you're getting healthy hormone replacement, you'll probably find you're getting soy which is mostly genetically modified and includes the pesticide, Roundup (Mons^nt0.)
I decided to go with an essential oil blend researched and put together by Chalyce Macoskey. After roughly 5-6 weeks taking it twice daily, I'm on day three without debilitating depression and a reduction in those annoying hot flashes. I'm exercising cautious optimism, but hope this is the 'fix' I've needed so badly.

Hi Annonomus just wondering what essential oil you are using and if its still working for you? I have been trying evening primrose but found it not too helpfull so my doc put me on the birth control pill as I have endomtriosis.

Hi Dita,
I noticed you are a HERWriter, and I am wondering what your experiences have been with your doctors, regarding the dilemma (or not) to take hormones (assuming HRT or BHRT)?

We have had a few women discuss their experiences with using hormones, or with their stopping hormone use due to medical conditions. While we wait to hear from women with personal stories on this subject, these two women have already shared their experiences with EmpowHER:
- VIDEO: Miriam shares her experience stopping hormone use
- Estrogen Dilemma: Maybe the best article ever written on hormone replacement (2010)

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Thanks Alison. Yes, I was just putting feelers out to see what people's experiences had been before I started an article. You've pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks again,