Parenting

Parenting Guide

ask: When a child faints or passes out -- what could be the cause?

By Cyndi

My niece is 12. On about three or four occasions over the last year or two, she has passed out or fainted. Once was on the softball field; once was at school; once or twice was at home. In each time she was later found to

be either dehydrated or very fatigued; the most recent time she was also suffering from strep throat.

My sister, of course, is horribly concerned, and has taken her to a couple of doctors who have checked her daughter out. However, the consensus seems to be that "some kids do this" -- basically, that some children's bodies have this reaction to getting sick, overly fatigued or dehydrated.

Has anyone heard of this or had this experience? Will a child grow out of it? Is there a specialist we should be taking her to? What is actually going on in her body when she loses consciousness this way?

Anonymous

I am 14 and aslo have this problem last time i blacked out was doing dishes and i have yet to grow out of it.

Anonymous

It is very possible that your child could hae a heart murmur I have one. Im fifteen years old and when I was 12 I used faint alot until i realised there was a problem with my heart next time she faints call an ambulance for them to run some tests. The nurses at a&e say I have a problem with my heart and hypotension, get her checked out it's the best thing.

Anonymous

I do that every two years and it is very scary, it is even stranger because it always happen arround the same time on a wednesday afternoon. I have went to the doctors and they keep saying I am fine. Every year it gets worse and worse. I almost passed out the first time, then I did pass out then it got worse and longer. I have no idea what it is.

Anonymous

I'm 16 years old and I've been looking for some answers because I would have the same problem. English isn't my mother tongue so I'll do my best explaining. When I was(If I remember well) in forth grade every morning only early(about 7 to 8 when I woke up for school) for some seconds I would start feeling dizzy.. but not exactly dizzy. I would start seeing weird colors, things moving in a weird way.. I just cant explain it. This strange situation lead me 3 times to faint. So I stayed in hospital for some days. Doctors would say everything was fine, they could find nothing wrong. As I remember I did many exams. Also it was nothing inherited. Of course blood exams, and for the heart, and something strange I had to sleep and the doctor was checking me while sleeping and had a paper like these seismographic ones I cant remember well it was some years ago. I went to special doctors too I remember but Everything was fine. For the summer everything stopped and then I realized it would happen only when I wake up early. So then at fifth grade comes the time when my period starts and all these weird things stop. So they said it has something to do with hormones. I'm still looking for some answers.. I know nothing about this subject I've thought lately about many scenarios.. like what if this hormone reaction happens for example when I( if I ) get pregnant? Maybe it has nothing to do with it.. But I wish someone here would know about this or maybe has experienced ir or anyone around them has so I would know exactly what happened because no one I know has ever experienced this.

Anonymous

I use to pass out as a child, it was once twice a year any random giving time no reasons for it , no health issue, i was in some pretty messed up situation when it would happen also some i literately should or could have died from but escaped with no harm not even bruises however i grew out of it in grade 9 its scary for sure but she can grow out of it been 12 yrs now since i stopped

Anonymous

My 8 year old daughter passed out at school, took them about 20 minutes to get her to come to, they kept her in the hospital overnight, ran all kinds of test, all were normal except the EEG showed a spot on the left side of her brain.. I have to take her to Cardinal Glennen, but they made her appt for Jan . 15th..... Im worried to death about her to the point of not sleeping good to get up and check on her, and they make the appt. that far away... What if the thing on her brain is growing... Makes me wonder just how much they really care. ..... or is it just money for them...... Im so scared... cancer runs in my family, my mom died from uterus cancer, my grandma had breast cancer and now my sister has colon cancer..... Im scared...

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

As a mother, I can appreciate your anxiety and concern. What did the doctor say the "spot on the left side of her brain" was or what does it indicate?

Try contacting the physician who ordered and read the results of the EEG. Press him to explain what was seen and what the implications are. With answers, you will have an understanding and this may reduce your level of anxiety.

I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers.

Anonymous

my son will be three in feb he passed out the first time nov 2012 then again in may six months apart both times lip turned blue and he was very pale but he was still talking low scared me to death the second time it happen he knew something was wrong he was eating a chip and handed it to me and spit the rest out and said mommy then went limp all test came back good ultra sound on heart,ekg,eeg,ct scan and blood work nerologist says fainting spells primary doc thinks seizures but he says may never know unless it gets worse i dont know what else to do im so scared for my son i dont wanna take my eyes off him

Anonymous

My youngest passed out for the first time when she was four months old. She is now three years old. As she ages, her episodes have decrease from at least once week (when she was young) to maybe once a month, if that. She only passes out if she is overly tired or gets hurt. She takes a big breath when crying and does not release. I do watch over her more carefully, and try to prevent her from passing out in public. Sometimes, she throws-up after she comes to, but she throws up alot anyway when she cries. On a couple of occasions, she has slept for a couple of hours after passing out (yes I watched over her to make sure she was breathing). I have never called an ambulance. I talked to her doctor, and I was told that some kids pass out. She is otherwise healthy.

Anonymous

Have you checked for hypoglycemia? I have this and faint if i dont eat frequently enough...especially while being active.