Q: 

When a child faints or passes out -- what could be the cause?

By February 6, 2009 - 10:23am

My niece is 12. On about three or four occasions over the last year or two, she has passed out or fainted. Once was on the softball field; once was at school; once or twice was at home. In each time she was later found to

be either dehydrated or very fatigued; the most recent time she was also suffering from strep throat.

My sister, of course, is horribly concerned, and has taken her to a couple of doctors who have checked her daughter out. However, the consensus seems to be that "some kids do this" -- basically, that some children's bodies have this reaction to getting sick, overly fatigued or dehydrated.

Has anyone heard of this or had this experience? Will a child grow out of it? Is there a specialist we should be taking her to? What is actually going on in her body when she loses consciousness this way?

Anonymous

i dont think kids need to do gym because once when i was a kid i passed out for over heating an that was the day when we had gym for the whole day

Anonymous

I'm 13 and I have felt really tired for the past 3 days and I don't know why I fell like I'm going to pass out a lot and I think I've had a few blackouts please help me!

Please tell me you got some help

Have your parents take you to a doctor, you need to be examined.

Anonymous

My child if 8yrs 10months. He got fainted thrice in last one year. All 3 times due to excessive scolding.
I did consulted Child Nuro Specialist and he just said that there is some minor issue but no medication required. He suggested few things
- Dont Scold, if scolding is requried try keep your voice low so that child dont feel too scared
- take care of proper sleep at least 8 - 10 hours a day
- Proper and healthy food
He says its so minor that medication is not required and this will go away with time.

Please suggst if anyone have different opinion.

Your English is terrible

Take the expert advice.

Excessive scolding of an 8 year is wrong, obviously, when you use the term "excessive".

Learn to parent in a calmer manner, you're scaring your child into losing consciousness.

Parenting is hard, I understand but this isn't working. Try a calmer approach and end discipline with a kiss and a hug. You can do this!

Anonymous

My daughter is going through this right now and we are taking her to the doctor today for further investigation. Watching your child faint and be so out of it is quite scary

I know this is a few years back, but I'm going though this with my 7 year old. She has had three episodes and we have had cardiology and neurology both say that's not causing this. Did you ever figure anything out? Her sugars have been fine, she's not anemic and not dehydrated.

Our daughter is 7 years old as well & has now passed out 3 times. It happened 3 nights ago.
We have had her checked, bloods, sugar, brain everything & it all came back negative. Basically the doctors had NFI. One doctor said it count be a mild case of Epilepsy. Another said it could be a thing called a "Faint".
All 3 times it has happened at home & she has just fully passed out like a tree falling. The first 2 times she turned blue, sweats & lost all bodily functions. Didn't know what happened. This time it was shorter. She didn't wee herself & didn't turn blue. Placed her in the recovery position & it 15-20mins she was back to herself talking about it. Still it scares the shit out of you. Looks like we are off for more tests. It could be any of the above. It could be something like a Vasovagal attack.
Signed Dad

Tags:

Parenting

Parenting Guide