Parenting

Parenting Guide

ask: When a child faints or passes out -- what could be the cause?

By Cyndi

My niece is 12. On about three or four occasions over the last year or two, she has passed out or fainted. Once was on the softball field; once was at school; once or twice was at home. In each time she was later found to

be either dehydrated or very fatigued; the most recent time she was also suffering from strep throat.

My sister, of course, is horribly concerned, and has taken her to a couple of doctors who have checked her daughter out. However, the consensus seems to be that "some kids do this" -- basically, that some children's bodies have this reaction to getting sick, overly fatigued or dehydrated.

Has anyone heard of this or had this experience? Will a child grow out of it? Is there a specialist we should be taking her to? What is actually going on in her body when she loses consciousness this way?

Anonymous

I had fainting when I was a teenager, it was caused from Anemia which is an Iron deficiency. I also had this because my heart is slower than average which is find and does not cause issues but it can cause dizziness and fainting as well. If you have anemia, your blood does not carry enough oxygen to the rest of your body which can result in fainting. Hopefully this helps.

Anonymous

my son is 13 and has started passing out first time he was unresponsive for 1 hour 45 mins and again today for twenty mins he was brought home in an ambo !! the doctors said first time they got no idea reckon his heart is ok !! but the worry and fear is trying to break myn!!!!

I would certainly get many opinions on what is happening with your son, it is not normal to be unconscious for 1 hour and 45 minutes with out an underlying cause. Just keep trying to find doctors who will help. Remember every medical system has there faults and it is up to the individual to take there health seriously.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Being unresponsive for nearly two hours is extremely frightening. Have you son evaluated as soon as possible. Doctors can't just send him home with an "I don't know". 

He may need to see a neurologist - tell his pediatrician to recommend some immediately. Will you keep us posted?

Anonymous

Hi Daughter is 8 now, from last 2 years she pass out 6 times, we have gone thru all the test but all came normal, always worried about her health.

i feel your pain i suffer every time i think of my one and only son in trouble , I love him very much I single dad with girls too but they all good Iwish we could get some real answers. !!!

Anonymous

When I was younger I fainted a lot. now because I know the reason I power through it. I now tend to have a black blur, I walk it off... Weak legs, go get a drink and any other symptoms I get I sit down

Anonymous

I am 14 and aslo have this problem last time i blacked out was doing dishes and i have yet to grow out of it.

Anonymous

It is very possible that your child could hae a heart murmur I have one. Im fifteen years old and when I was 12 I used faint alot until i realised there was a problem with my heart next time she faints call an ambulance for them to run some tests. The nurses at a&e say I have a problem with my heart and hypotension, get her checked out it's the best thing.

Anonymous

I do that every two years and it is very scary, it is even stranger because it always happen arround the same time on a wednesday afternoon. I have went to the doctors and they keep saying I am fine. Every year it gets worse and worse. I almost passed out the first time, then I did pass out then it got worse and longer. I have no idea what it is.