ask: When a child faints or passes out -- what could be the cause?

My niece is 12. On about three or four occasions over the last year or two, she has passed out or fainted. Once was on the softball field; once was at school; once or twice was at home. In each time she was later found to

be either dehydrated or very fatigued; the most recent time she was also suffering from strep throat.

My sister, of course, is horribly concerned, and has taken her to a couple of doctors who have checked her daughter out. However, the consensus seems to be that "some kids do this" -- basically, that some children's bodies have this reaction to getting sick, overly fatigued or dehydrated.

Has anyone heard of this or had this experience? Will a child grow out of it? Is there a specialist we should be taking her to? What is actually going on in her body when she loses consciousness this way?

Anonymous

Hi I am 12 and have fainted about 32 times in the last 6 years and the doctor has said the same thing I haven't grown out of it yet

Anonymous

My daughter is going through this right now and we are taking her to the doctor today for further investigation. Watching your child faint and be so out of it is quite scary

Anonymous

It sounds like hypoglycemia in each case here I've heard. Its a severe drop in blood sugar caused by lack of food, water, sugar..causes mygraine headaches which start with lights covering vision or sounds filling ears...sometimes nausea and vomiting before blackout or after. I suffered with same symptoms for 10 years from 13 til 23 I am now 37. Every nowxand again with period I get lights and headache but haven't blacked out since I was 23. Good Luck.

Ginny

Anonymous

I am 13 and a half, very healthy, and very active. Almost every day when get up from sitting down for ten minutes or longer, I have to hold on to something for 20 seconds or so. My vision gets very blurred, my mouth and face get numb, I forget what's going on and I am unable to think about anything. Every month or so, just like this, I pass out and wake up on the floor with pain only a few moments later. Please tell me if you know what's going on?

Basilar migraine

Sounds a lot like you are having partial seizures. Doctors often overlook this diagnosis, so please ASK to be tested for seizures! I have them and your symptoms sound all too familiar to me, Best wishes, and remember,..don't put off seeing the doctor about this!

That happens to me until now.. specially if i get up right away from lying down.. I also pass out without me seeing it coming.. It happens to me when i was a kid.. teenager and 20's. But sometimes i feel it coming like i feel dizzy and i saw world go round and when i heard voices calling my name i knew already that i fainted since it was not new to me.. That time when i woke up the feeling was nice.. and felt like i went to a comfortable place.. my friends says that i was only lost few seconds.. though i felt i was im gone long time.. i even dream a lot.. same as the faint i had with my mother but that time i didnt saw that coming.. i didnt even remember what i do when i woke up seeing my worried mother's face. it was different because i felt bad that time and it was hard to breath nor even moved.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

We cannot tell you what is happening but you do need to talk to someone about this and be seen by a doctor. 

Anonymous

Strokes and TIA (mini strokes) can happen in children. It seems to be becoming more common in younger people. A TIA stroke can happen from a chiropractor cracking your neck, turning your head too much in yoga, gymnastics or while weight training, resting your neck to far on a hairdressers sink, from vomiting... and lots of other reasons you would never think of. Even if the person feels fine when they get up after fainting, someone should call 911! If it is a stroke, the longer the delay in getting help, the worse a disability/brain damage can become. I just survived a TIA. I also recall being in high school and passing out on my teachers lap while waiting for my project to be reviewed. It made no sense. I didn't exert myself during class and had a good breakfast. I never got help and continued my day without problem. It makes me wonder if that could have been a TIA back them too. Strokes do run in my family, no telling how early they can start in someones life.

Parenting

Parenting Guide