ask: When a child faints or passes out -- what could be the cause?

By Cyndi February 6, 2009 - 10:23am

My niece is 12. On about three or four occasions over the last year or two, she has passed out or fainted. Once was on the softball field; once was at school; once or twice was at home. In each time she was later found to

be either dehydrated or very fatigued; the most recent time she was also suffering from strep throat.

My sister, of course, is horribly concerned, and has taken her to a couple of doctors who have checked her daughter out. However, the consensus seems to be that "some kids do this" -- basically, that some children's bodies have this reaction to getting sick, overly fatigued or dehydrated.

Has anyone heard of this or had this experience? Will a child grow out of it? Is there a specialist we should be taking her to? What is actually going on in her body when she loses consciousness this way?

I'm 13 and I have felt really tired for the past 3 days and I don't know why I fell like I'm going to pass out a lot and I think I've had a few blackouts please help me!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Have your parents take you to a doctor, you need to be examined.

My child if 8yrs 10months. He got fainted thrice in last one year. All 3 times due to excessive scolding.
I did consulted Child Nuro Specialist and he just said that there is some minor issue but no medication required. He suggested few things
- Dont Scold, if scolding is requried try keep your voice low so that child dont feel too scared
- take care of proper sleep at least 8 - 10 hours a day
- Proper and healthy food
He says its so minor that medication is not required and this will go away with time.

Please suggst if anyone have different opinion.

Take the expert advice.

Excessive scolding of an 8 year is wrong, obviously, when you use the term "excessive".

Learn to parent in a calmer manner, you're scaring your child into losing consciousness.

Parenting is hard, I understand but this isn't working. Try a calmer approach and end discipline with a kiss and a hug. You can do this!

Hi I am 12 and have fainted about 32 times in the last 6 years and the doctor has said the same thing I haven't grown out of it yet

My daughter is going through this right now and we are taking her to the doctor today for further investigation. Watching your child faint and be so out of it is quite scary

It sounds like hypoglycemia in each case here I've heard. Its a severe drop in blood sugar caused by lack of food, water, sugar..causes mygraine headaches which start with lights covering vision or sounds filling ears...sometimes nausea and vomiting before blackout or after. I suffered with same symptoms for 10 years from 13 til 23 I am now 37. Every nowxand again with period I get lights and headache but haven't blacked out since I was 23. Good Luck.

I am 13 and a half, very healthy, and very active. Almost every day when get up from sitting down for ten minutes or longer, I have to hold on to something for 20 seconds or so. My vision gets very blurred, my mouth and face get numb, I forget what's going on and I am unable to think about anything. Every month or so, just like this, I pass out and wake up on the floor with pain only a few moments later. Please tell me if you know what's going on?

Basilar migraine

Sounds a lot like you are having partial seizures. Doctors often overlook this diagnosis, so please ASK to be tested for seizures! I have them and your symptoms sound all too familiar to me, Best wishes, and remember,..don't put off seeing the doctor about this!

Parenting Guide