Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: When I lie down my arms go to sleep, why?

Anonymous

Go to the chiropractor for an adjustment. It worked for me.

Anonymous

i am 18 and my arms sleep at night,wht would be reson the for this?is it normal?

Anonymous

I have awoken at night to my arm falling asleep. I sleep on my side and it is always the arm on top not the one curled underneath my pillow. Why is this? There is no pressure on my arm to cause this.

Anonymous

I have CREST scleroderma. For a couple of years prior to the onset of most of my CREST signs and symptoms, I experienced this falling asleep of my arms up to 5 times a night. It turns out that many CREST patients do. This April 2009, a study showed that vasculopathy of the ulnar artery (artery running through the arm) is quite common in scleroderma. In fact, even prior to this it was well known that scleroderma causes all sorts of vasculopathy. Go google "CREST scleroderma" and see if you have any of the other signs of CREST. Sclero.org has information on it.

Coach Virginia

Dear Anon, I suggest you see a neurologist. Long term nerve damage can complicate matters as you get older. There are tests that can assess the nerve conduction and health of your nerves. If you have been having problems most of your life, it is probably time to get a diagnosis before you face another complication. Another problem with numbness on your arms could be linked with cervical spine degeneration i.e.disks which could cause pinching of nerves thus causing numbness. The main thing is to have a qualify doctor do an evaluation, run some tests and if all are negative, then you can try gentle exercises such as Tai-Chi or Yoga that allow the body to stretch nice and easy.

Anonymous

I find that if my limbs are elevated for longer periods of time that they fall asleep. It's been that way my entire life. I've just chalked it up to the way I am.

I wonder if there are any long term issues with this though? Could I have diabetes like complications later in life?

Thanks for your question, Anon.

This is a common occurrence for some people!

For some, they may sleep on their side and this pressure on their arm causes the nerves to lose contact with the brain. Blood flow is also slowed and increases the sensation of a limb falling asleep.

Another scenario could be diabetes, where circulation to your limbs could be an issue - are you diabetic, by any chance?

Another thought is that you may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - which can affect the arm, as well as the hand -

You can read more about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Empowher's Encyclopeida here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/carpal-tunnel-syndrome

Do you work repetitively with your hands?

Do you sleep on your side or your back, or on your tummy?

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :