When should I be worried about breast pain?

For the last couple of months I was having chest pain so I booked in to see my doctor. Just before my appointment, a started getting pains in both my breasts, although it wasn't constant. I was also getting pains in my arm pits and the area between my armpit and breast. My doctor didn't feel any lump and put the pain down to hormones and such since I am on a birth control pill. She told me to get some sports bras for extra support, but it has been a few weeks since I visited and the breast pain and armpit pain has come back, along with my chest pain, but still can't feel a lump. It is obviously worrying and I'm wondering if I should go back to see my doctor.

I don't see anything wrong with a return visit since this pain is reoccurring. While pain is generally a signal to us that something is wrong, some pain is "ok" meaning it's a sign of regular bodily functions including period cramps or breast pain from the way our hormones react to any given time of the month.

You may have what's called mastalgia. Mastalgia is breast pain. There are two types of mastalgia, cyclical and noncyclic. Cyclical breast pain is most often associated with menstrual periods. Noncyclic pain does not vary with the menstrual cycle.

Mastalgia can be caused by:

Hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle
Trauma to the breast
Arthritis in the chest cavity and neck

Risk Factors
These factors increase your chance of developing mastalgia. Tell your doctor if you have any of these risk factors:

Relatively high hormone levels (estrogen and progesterone) of the second half of the menstrual cycle
History of arthritis
Irritation of cervical (neck) nerve roots

If your pain is not due to your cycle (if it's not hormonal in nature) then look into having tests done for RA - rheumatoid arthritis. You may also want to have your heart health checked. Please note these are just suggestions as to what may be going on.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/breast-conditions/content/concerned-about-breast-pain-some-causes-and-treatments

I hope this helps!

Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide