When should I throw my razors away?

By Blogger July 30, 2014 - 6:01pm

I use my razors for a long time, or right after they get too dull. Once they're dull they don't work as well so I toss them. When should I throw my razors away? Can they grow bacteria if I use them for too long?

Hi Hayden

Great question! 

I saw this topic on an afternoon talk show once and by a show of hands, the audience overwhelmingly overused their razors! Many admitted to using one for months! 

The "expert" on the show recommended changing your razor every three shaves but I think it's safe to say most women won't do that. I shave my legs from the knees down every day and I change my razor about every two weeks. 

However, I make sure my razor is face up to dry after use and don't let it touch a surface or anything else in the shower. 

The reason we need to frequently change our razors is that the blades can dull (depending on how much we shave and how often) and cause nicks and cuts. These can leave our skin open to infection. 

Blades used for a long time are also prone to end filled with bacteria. 

So Hayden, don't wait until the blades are dull. Consider changing them more frequently and while the blades are still sharp. Keep your razor away from other items and inspect the blade for rust, dirt or over usage. 

By the way, never use shave creams or gel! The softest skin you can get is by shaving with hair conditioner, it makes a huge difference to the skin. And make sure you moisturize well after! 

Has this helped?