When you are not sure if you ovulated, but it's that time for your period to show up and it doesn't, ( Presuming you take a pregnancy test on day 34 of your normal cycle) what should your cervix feel like? I'm wondering if I could still be pregnant. . .

By Anonymous December 24, 2009 - 9:02am

I have recently been on Progesteron cream and I've heard it helps fertility, but it may be messing with my cycle too. I also know it takes away signs of PMS, but I don't like to not know when I ovulate in this case.

Thanks so much for the update and congrats on your pregnancy; you probably tested a bit early so showed as negative.

We wish you a very happy and healthy 9 months!

You can't "feel" your cervix like you can feel your outer limbs or your bones or even your heart.

However, you can feel discomfort in that area of your body due to tenderness or cramps or other typical symptom of PMS or pregnancy.

Here is a really good page for you to read about progesterone and how it works : http://www.natural-hormones.net/progesterone.htm

Have you taken a pregnancy test at 34 days? Was it negative? You could still be pregnant and have very low hCg levels but that would be unusual. A test at 34 days should give an accurate result but if you still don't have your period, take another test or opt for a blood test. And you're correct - progesterone can help you get pregnant if your levels are low but it can affect your cycle.

You can also use an ovulation predictor test that can increase your chances of knowing when you ovulate. You can buy one at any drug store or pharmacy.

Does this help you? Will you update us more with answers to some of my questions?

Thanks for the comments. apparently I was late in ovulating, and just took a test too early i'm guessing, even though it seemed to be day 34. I had another guess of an ovulating date, which would make my period due just yesterday. So I took a test this morning and found out that I was right in suspecting pregnancy even really early! I felt a swollen and closed cervix by only a week or so after pregnancy and was pretty sure I was pregnant. I'm glad to find out that there is now a really great early pregnancy sign for me.

(reply to Anonymous)

Congratulations, Anon!!! We are so happy for you!!! Your experience may be really interesting to others as well; we often get women who suspect they are pregnant but who have negative pregnancy tests. Thank you for writing. All the best.