Who Beats Cancer? You or Your Doctor? Don Imus Says It's Your Doctor!

By Anonymous March 16, 2009 - 8:05am

"NEW YORK (WABC) -- Don Imus announced on his radio show this morning that he has stage II prostate cancer."

He told his listeners he has full faith "his doctors will beat it."

When you have cancer, who is doing the fighting you or your doctor?

Isn't the patient the one in charge?

If always thought if you are engaged and focused on fighting, your body will fight. Am I wrong?

That is the western view of medicine. But it is the patient who beats the cancer. The doctor works within the limitation of his training and access to technology. However, doctors play a big role on the placebo effect and recovery of a patient. Doctors who show genuine concern, support and know how to connect with their patients will influence the outcome more than all the chemo in the world!

There are two things linked to remission and healing from a patient's perspective: 1) Purpose to live and 2) Motivation to make necessary changes to prevent reoccurance.

If Imus trusts his physician, that is very good too, but the physician must also connect emotionally with the healing process. At the end, I think the patient resilience will affect the mechanism of self-healing that are programmed within the body. I hope Imus considers his own body's capacity to beat his cancer and he is not just "delegating" the responsibility for the outcome to his doctor. I'd like to think both play a role in healing in their own way.

I would hope the patient would walk hand in hand with his or her caregivers, on this subject. But you are right - ultimately, the decision and choices of treatment, medication and follow up rests with the patient.