Why am I blacking out EVERY time I stand?

By August 9, 2011 - 9:33am

I am a 26 year old female. My question is, does anyone Know why every time I stand up, I black out? I've had head rushes before but this is different. It's so bad that when I stand up my whole body goes numb, I completely lose my vision, (everything goes black) my lips go completely numb and my tongue does as well and tingly too. I just started a new exercise routine last week and it has been happening since then. I have to sit on the floor when this happens or wherever I am standing. I know I'm breathing properly as I'm not new to working out. I'm 5'8" and weigh 116lbs if that is relevant at all. Can anyone help me? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Hi Lena

If this has only happened due to your new exercise regime, the you need to stop this new regime straight away until you get to the bottom of things. Obviously this workout is too rigorous for you if you black out and become numb. Even though you may be in good shape, a new routine can be very hard on the system.

Stopping now will allow you to see if your symptoms also stop. If they do, find a different workout that is less stressful on your body or try the new workout very slowly and only a couple of times a week for a limited time (hours-wise).

And as always, please check with your doctor because these symptoms could cause a concussion or other effects that could be serious. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Please keep us updated and stay well!