ask: Why am I feeling bad after thyroid surgery?

I had my left thyroid removed in December, 2008 because of a nodule. It was benign.
All my TSH levels are in normal range. I take 50mcgs. of Synthroid daily.

I suffer from severe depression. I am on 60 mgs of Cymbalta daily.

I am still feeling miserable. I am extremely tired, even more so since the surgery. I sleep 10+ hours daily and I am STILL tired. I have absolutely NO energy to do anything. Just getting dressed is an effort!

I am in need of some answers as to why I am still feeling so tired. My get up and go has "gone up and went."

Please, please help...I don't know what to do. Any information you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Karen

tinag

Hi there. Had a TT in March 2015. At first I wasn't exhausted at 150 mg and blood test showed slightly hyper. Now that n 137 and exhausted and feeling foggy with bad headaches. Talked to a gal this past weekend that gained 60 pounds after her TT. She told me gluten free was the key. Just bought my first round of food and hoping to make a difference. Going to call the endo tomorrow to get back on 150. One thing I have learned is you have to be proactive in getting your life back. I am determined to keep the weight off and find a full nights sleep. Hang in there all of you!

Anonymous

I had my thyroid taken out 5 years ago still suffering NO ENERGY..getting really frustrated cant even to every day life things..TSH levels are all normal...I also suffer from depression and axiety all due to this...have beat cancer twice in the last 5 years...I need some help here..Vitamns dont any more :(work.anti depressants dont work,I am at my wits end here dont want to go on...so tired of being tired of not beong a normal person

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry you're going through so much, even five years after surgery. 

Would a support group help you? Or seeing a therapist?

I think it's also a good idea to talk to your doctor about going further with your physical aliments and see if there is a specialist that can help you in that respect. 

Anonymous

I had the same problem and had thyroid removed in August 2014 . I've been on synthroid ever since , started @ Low dose, then .150 , .175 & 200. Went back to .175 Now on .175 on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. And .150 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. All due to feeling bad, anxiety, and depression. All TSH test showed within normal range, still feel like crap . I don't know the answer, but getting disgusted with not feeling good all the time.

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,
I am confused on what I should do....I need a little help making my decision. I have a benign nodule on my left thyroid lobe. My food is getting a little hard to swallow and I'm getting a little bit of reflux. It's a little bothersome, I always feel something stuck in my throat and you can see the goiter. I was thinking of getting my thyroid removed but after reading some of your post I got scared of the post-op symptoms. Should I do it or not? Thank you in advance.

sflock (reply to Anonymous)

I would have it out. I was having the same symptoms and was also told it was benign. When I came out of recovery they told me it was cancer. Not trying to scare you at all, but anytime we have something growing and causing these problems we should get it out. Prayers for you and your decision.

We cannot make that decision for you but I hope some of our readers can give you some input that can help you to come to a decision on your own.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Hi Susan,
Thank you for your response.
I'm not looking for someone to make the decision for me.. I just need clarity....I'm scared that if I keep my nodule longer that it will become to big and harder to swallow and breath. I had an anxiety attack because of it. I been having really bad mood swings... I think I'm starting to grow two little horns and a tail because I been so moody. But if I have surgery there's a possibility that I'm going to be super tired all the time. Also on meds for the rest of my life. And maybe continue having these horrible mood swings.
choices, choices!

Im not sure if u have decided to have nodule removed or not, but the anxiety you are feeling is probably related to your thyroid issue.
I never realized how many things are controlled and or caused from thyroid. I had to have my entire thyroid as well as 3 1/2 of the 4 pairs of parathyroid from cancer. Before the surgery I had so many issues from mood to body temperature, to weight gain and loss..do a bit of reading, you will be surprised at all this tiny organ actually controls. Also, after the surgery your body will no longer produce or retain certain minerals and hormones. taking calcium, magnesium, vitamin d and for me testosterone is very important, although I take them all and still feel like crap 90% of the time! good luck with whatever you decide!

Just had my thyroid last month, and biopsy showed it was malignant. Do not wait around to see if it will "get better". I did the same thing with another dr, all she wanted to do was do a biopsy and wait 6 months. Well that plan worked real well. I had the surgery and will get a dose of radioactive iodine next week and that apparently will be it. In the meantime I am on no meds because they have to rid my system of as much iodine as possible to do the treatment. I am so beyond tired it is pathetic. When I make the bed it is my big chore of the day. I then need a nap. Sorry to be a downer, but don't wait. Have it checked out now.

Thyroid Conditions

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :