Thyroid Conditions

ask: Why am I feeling bad after thyroid surgery?

I had my left thyroid removed in December, 2008 because of a nodule. It was benign.
All my TSH levels are in normal range. I take 50mcgs. of Synthroid daily.

I suffer from severe depression. I am on 60 mgs of Cymbalta daily.

I am still feeling miserable. I am extremely tired, even more so since the surgery. I sleep 10+ hours daily and I am STILL tired. I have absolutely NO energy to do anything. Just getting dressed is an effort!

I am in need of some answers as to why I am still feeling so tired. My get up and go has "gone up and went."

Please, please help...I don't know what to do. Any information you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Karen

Anonymous

I just had my Thyroid removed a little under a week now. I have only felt the immediate effect of the surgery, pain around the neck, difficult swallowing, and an unstoppable cough. However, I've haven't felt any significant changes, no numbness anywhere. As the days go by I seem to recover every day. I'm anticipating any changes in my behavior, I don't want to gain any weight, so I've been on a strict diet to ensure I don't gain. Am I'm going to have some difficult as the weeks and months come by?

Sammy1322 (reply to Anonymous)

Hello , I just had my right side thyroid taken out..(suspicious nodule)
It's been about a week, and everyday I am feeling better...so far so good, can you please update me on how your feeling....?? Any weight gain..depression.,,are you o. Any medication ?? How are your hormone levels ?? Any info would be great....

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Not all people experience great discomfort or mood disorders and you could be one of the lucky ones! Keep going as you are and inform your doctor if there are any negative changes - but things are looking good so far!

Mbd7273

I had total thyroidectomy one week ago. I have hoarse voice, pain swallowing is subsiding, headaches but not severe, I feel like something is in my throat feeling like it is hard to breathe. It could be anxiety. I am feeling really down and am crying non-stop for no reason . I take mood stabilizing meds now but it feels like it isn't working. I don't see surgeon for 1st post op until 1/8/14. I am on synthroid meds waking up soaked in sweat freezing 2 times a night about. Don't know what to do? To top it, they won't have pathology results until the 30th and the wait is nerve wracking .. Any suggestions...

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Mbd7273)

Hi Mbd7273

The first weeks after your operation are often really hard and your symptoms are (unfortunately) fairly common.

Please let us know how your results came back today-

Anonymous

Hello! I have to say...this thread is a godsend! I had my thyroid removed in February of 2011 after finding cancerous nodules on it. Despite telling my endo for the past 2 years I am exhausted I've been told to "keep doing what I'm doing" and it will all work out. I've put on 70 lbs in 2 years and haven't had a single day where I havent' woken up exhausted and mentally drained. I finally got irritated and went to another endo who is putting my on T3 to see if I feel better on that. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous

I had a total thyroidectomy last November and have not felt right ever since. Constant headaches, over-heating ALL...the time etc.

Anonymous

I had thyroid surgery 4/10/13 and I have had my synthroid increased from 125 to 300. I have put on 20 pounds since the surgery and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetis. I am on a water pill because my legs look like I had a rubber band around my leg when I take my sock off. I am tired , achy and just plain exhausted all the time. Dr says all my levels look good but I still fell this way. Any suggestions?

Shelley Lerner

I had my thyroid removed 2 weeks ago. since then I have had bad headaches, feel fatigue, heavy headed, and foggy. Not to mention the sweats and panic attacks. I feel anxious and depressed, but I think that has to do with being so out of it not to mention I had to quit my job from multiple illnesses. Are any of these symptoms normal. I feel like I cant keep my head off a pillow.

Thanks

Shelley

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Shelley Lerner)

Hi Shelley

Your symptoms are actually fairly common - our thyroid has a direct effect on our mental state. Many people with thyroid issues face depression or feelings of having a panic attack.

Are you on any medications now? If you are, you may have to adjust your dosages until you find what works for you. Unfortunately this can be a rather prolonged time but it has only been two weeks since surgery. What are your other illnesses? They may be the cause, as you mentioned...

Do you take selfies?: