Thyroid Conditions

ask: Why am I feeling bad after thyroid surgery?

I had my left thyroid removed in December, 2008 because of a nodule. It was benign.
All my TSH levels are in normal range. I take 50mcgs. of Synthroid daily.

I suffer from severe depression. I am on 60 mgs of Cymbalta daily.

I am still feeling miserable. I am extremely tired, even more so since the surgery. I sleep 10+ hours daily and I am STILL tired. I have absolutely NO energy to do anything. Just getting dressed is an effort!

I am in need of some answers as to why I am still feeling so tired. My get up and go has "gone up and went."

Please, please help...I don't know what to do. Any information you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Karen

Anonymous

I had surgery several weeks ago to remove my thyroid and the tumor attached which was malignant. I finished the iodine/radiation treatment last week, and started on synthroid 3-4 days ago. But I have been absolutely whacked with fatigue since them, and I'm wondering when that will end!

Anonymous

Hello im new here looking for support and advice. Im a 32 yr old female and just had a left lobectomy surgery done last tue. Im doing well as far as healing (no more pain) but i feel tired and would like to know if thisbis normal and if it will go away...im an active busy mom of 2 little kids and i need to function!!! Today i napped for 2 hrs straight while my in laws watched the kids like i was out in the middle of tje afternoon..

I have my post op appt on wed and will talk to doc about it but would like to hear your exoeriences. They did tell me i was going to feel tired whilw thw right side tries to compensate. .

(About 2 months ago i noticed a lump in my throat. I was referred to a ent and they did ultrasound and fna. Fna came back as inconclusive conplex cyst 2cm so doc gave me 2 options either monitor or remove it i opted to take it out so they removed the whole letf lobe..in 3 mo they will check my hormones to see if i will need meds or not..payhology came back on friday and it was follicular adenoma)

Thanks!

Bianca

I would strongly encourage you to also investigate "Parathyroid" disease, otherwise known as Primary Hyperparathyroidism (PHPT).

Elevated Calcium levels (Total Calcium / Ionized Calcium) & elevated intact PTH (Parathyroid Hormone). Oftentimes accompanied by low Vitamin OHD25 levels in a large percentage of those with parathyroid disease.

Having both thyroid and parathyroid disease, and other endocrine disorders can also occur together. The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons (AAES) website is an excellent source of information, as well as a source for contact information to the general surgeons who specialize in endocrine surgeries (i.e. parathyroid, thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, etc.).

A number of parathyroid support groups on Facebook can also be valuable resources for both patient education and support.

Best wishes to you.

Anonymous

Very helpful

Anonymous

I've had a thyroidectomy three months ago and have panic attacks and anxiety. It's awful I'm a very busy person and can't manage to complete my tasks. I also feel shortness of breath. Should I worry about this or will it go away?

Anonymous

I had a total thyroidectomy june 5 it is 15 days i was perfect after the operation , but from today i am feeling down i got my first period after the operation and i am feeling swollen in throat and pain. As I have stop thyroxine to do RAI i have swollen in my leg can any one suggest

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

If your leg is swelling , you need to call your doctor right away, there could be a risk of  a clot. Talk to him about your other symptoms too (although your throat may be infected and has nothing to do with your surgery) but please put a call in about your leg straight away. 

Anonymous

I just had a TT 2 weeks ago. The first week, I had a lot of energy ... probably from the pain meds. I react the opposite way. LOL The second week and today, all I want to do is sleep. I am on 100mcg Synthroid. My next visit with the surgeon for his last follow up is in June. But, from what I'm understanding from the other posts, two weeks post-TT, it's normal to feel as I feel.

I, too, hope this lethargy gets better. I've spent most of my adult life with what I think was sub-clinical hypothyroidism. I don't want to spend another 30 years feeling like this.

As for your situation, I hope it has improved. If my doctor can't help me, I will seek another opinion. Probably one who will look at symptoms instead of numbers since the "range" didn't help me at all after years of wasted money on tests, only to find my levels were "normal".

Best of luck !!!

Anonymous

I just had my Thyroid removed a little under a week now. I have only felt the immediate effect of the surgery, pain around the neck, difficult swallowing, and an unstoppable cough. However, I've haven't felt any significant changes, no numbness anywhere. As the days go by I seem to recover every day. I'm anticipating any changes in my behavior, I don't want to gain any weight, so I've been on a strict diet to ensure I don't gain. Am I'm going to have some difficult as the weeks and months come by?

Sammy1322 (reply to Anonymous)

Hello , I just had my right side thyroid taken out..(suspicious nodule)
It's been about a week, and everyday I am feeling better...so far so good, can you please update me on how your feeling....?? Any weight gain..depression.,,are you o. Any medication ?? How are your hormone levels ?? Any info would be great....