Why am I having short term memory loss?

By Anonymous January 14, 2015 - 3:44am

I'm a sixteen year old female, my family doesn't have the money to go to the doctors so I'm looking for answers. I don't do drugs or anything, but I'll forget a lot of stuff throughout the day. Sometimes, I can be looking back on my day and I feel like it didn't even happen or was like a dream.

At 16, you shouldn't have anything to worry about in terms of memory loss that could affect your actions or the kind of memory loss that our elders can have to deal with. 

But I am wondering about your lifetstyle - do you get enough sleep? Are you eating well? Are you under stress? 

These factors can affect your short-term memory loss and cause distraction and a kind of fogginess. 

At 16, you should be getting at least 8 hours of sleep and eating a fresh and healthy diet.  You also need to keep your stress levels low and exercise is also important. 

We hope to hear back from you!

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

Well, I am stressed on a regular basis, I don't sleep much, I have a hard time. I eat a lot of red meats, chicken, peas, corns, potatoes, when i eat. I do exercise every day throughout the day. I maintain a weight of 129-135 and I'm 5'5. And also, another thing I've been wondering is can anxiety play into it? And what can I do to help my anxiety? I'm constantly on edge and having crazy thoughts and chest pains and such.

Thank you!

Stress can certainly be a factor.  Anxiety and stress can cause chest pain.

When you say you are always on edge and having crazy thoughts, can you talk about that a little more? Why are you on edge? What are the thoughts that you have?

Like on the edge of crying and having a panic attack. I'm always soooo worried about the craziest things that'll probably never happen. I don't like the feeling of sadness and nervousness when I get them. I had an anxiety attack one time because I didn't have my inhaler for my asthma and ever since then I'm constantly so scared of having an anxiety attack again.

I think you need some help. 

I appreciate that your family doesn't have the resources to go to the doctor but there is free help out there. Do a search in your area for free health care or free clinics. 

I also encourage you to call a hot line for kids and teens that are facing depression, anxiety, stress or other issues.  I think you would benefit greatly from this.

I have added a link to several hotlines and you can pick one that you think is the best. If you don't like it, you can choose another.  These people are specially trained to help teens.  Will you give it a try?

Anon, I also encourage you to keep chatting with us here.  Will you also talk with your family about how you are feeling? 

We look forward to hearing back from you-

Memory Loss

Memory Loss Guide