Why am I having so much pain in my body?

By December 22, 2009 - 6:40pm

I have been having severe pain within my body for the past three weeks and have sought my physician to try and determine the cause for this pain. I've had Xrays, an MRI and the cause was not determined. Finally, I have been set up for an Ultrasound sometime after the first of the year, 2010. I was told that this
pain could possibly be caused by internal bleeding, but no concrete determination could be made until all my tests results come back. I have had a history of blood clots and have a condition called "Pulmonary Embolism" and take a daily dose of Coumadin to avoid blood clots. Back in 1985 I had a cyst removed off of my left ovary and I was wondering if possibly there may be one on my right ovary giving me trouble at this time. All I know is the pain is really severe and comes and goes and is emminating from my ride side most of the time. I would like to interject that back in January, 2007 a lump was discovered in my right breast and it was discovered after a biopsy that it was cancerous. Whereupon I had a lumpectomy on July 10, 2007. I was told by my Oncologist that the cancer had been caught in time and had not spread to my lymph nodes underneath my right arm and they were removed as a precautionary procedure during the operation. I proceeded to have my radiation treatments and completed them in the fall of 2008. I did not have any pain at that time., but now I am experiencing some very terrible pain off and on. My radiation treatments were completed last October, 2008 and I did not begin to have any pain until around three weeks ago. It gets so severe at times that I can hardly move and I am experiencing some severe headaches at this time off and on.

Dear Goodhealth-
Thank you for the update - sciatica! I had that in pregnancy, it was excruciating. I hope you work through it and I think some chiropractic care is a great idea.

Keep us posted as you how you are doing - we wish you the best!

Well, I had to go to emergency room last Sunday morn and was told that I was
experiencing Sciatica pain as the cause of the pain I was having vibrating up
and down my spine and have been placed on pain medication for it and also
was told that I was showing some degeneration of the bone structure of my
lower back but no operation could be performed as I am on blood thinners. Also,
was suggested that I would possibly be referred to a Chiropracter for further
treatment and possibly receive some physical therapy.

Dear goodhealth2

Thanks for the update! The way you describe it, it does sound more to do with the "pain after cancer" discussed above, than something like fibromyalgia. But only your health care providers will be able to give you a diagnosis.

Definitely discuss it with your doctor and make a list of all your symptoms and the specifics (time of day, location, severity) and make a copy for him. He will appreciate it and so will you, since we all have a tendency to go blank in the doctor's office! Your copy for him can go in your file. Aside from the fact that we forget to tell the doctor certain things, this is also important because you need to be taken seriously and not be blown off. This kind of pain is very real and legitimate and we want you to get relief as soon as you can.

Please update us on your progress and let us know how your doctor visit goes. In the meantime, the Tylenol and heating pad might have to suffice. I wish there was something else we could do but for now, that may be all you can do and then you can progress (hopefully!) after your consult.

I look forward to hearing more from you and wish you the best. No-one should be living with that kind of pain, especially after going through so much already.

Best wishes-

Yes, I take Tylenol Extrastrength pills (2) when it gets so severe and this does help temporarily.

I have had a massage but this doesn't help to relieve the pain. I don't
think that it's Fibromyalgia as I don't have any trouble falling asleep at night or staying
asleep and I don't suffer fatigue throughout the day. Possibly the first thing you listed
is possibly the cause of the pain as the pain does occur on the rightside of my body only and this is the side of my body under my right arm where the lymph nodes were removed. So, therefore, this seems to be a much more logical conclusion. I am presently taking Arimidex 5mg once a day under the instruction of my Oncologist, and have been taking this medication since April of 2008. I proceeded to have my radiation treatments during that same month. I will, however keep you informed of the results of the upcoming tests that are to be run on my body come the 29th of this month and the 14th of January. I am due to return to my Oncologist on the 10th of January and will inform him of the pain I am experiencing as the last time I saw him, I was not experiencing pain at that time. This was back in September. Also, it helps when I wrap a heating pad around my middle and sat with it on for at least an hour. I do know that the pain is centrallized on my right side and immenating upwards everytime it comes. It comes and goes during intermitten intervals and at times, I do not experience any pain for a whole day and then it suddenly comes back with full force.

Dear goodhealth2

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I'm sorry you are in so much pain - it sounds like you've been through a lot in the past few years.

I'm glad you're getting a lot of tests done to see what's going on - especially if internal bleeding is suspected.

One thing I want to talk to you about is pain after cancer and cancer treatments. We have an article on this very subject that I'd like you to take a look at : http://www.empowher.com/news/2009/11/10/breast-cancer-may-be-gone-pain-lingers

You may have nerve damage from treatment that's causing the pain and dissection of lymph nodes is also a big factor - and this is something you also experienced.

Take a look at the article and tell me what you think.

You may also be suffering from something like Fibromyalgia. Empowher describes this condition as "a complex, chronic, and disabling disorder. It causes widespread pain and stiffness in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments, along with poor sleep and fatigue."

And risk factors include :

A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting fibromyalgia. Risk factors include:

◦Sex: female
◦Age: 20-60 years old
◦Physical or mental stress
◦Physical trauma (eg, accident, injury, or severe illness)

This seems like something you should think about and suggest to your doctors. You can read more about Fibromyalgia on our Fibromyalgia page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/fibromyalgia#definition

Please let me know what you think about the information I've given you so far and update us as soon as you can regarding your test results. Again, I'm so sorry you're in this pain and we hope you can get this resolved as soon as possible.

Are you managing your pain now, with medication, massage or any other kind of therapies?