Why am I having such a long period?

I have been having some problems with my periods for a couple of years now. I was fairly regular up until I was 23, when I missed a couple and then started getting them irregularly. Then about 2 years ago, I had a period that lasted 2 weeks. Another strange thing was that I had no pain. Very unusual for me. Anyway, I saw the doctor who prescribed me something to stop the bleeding, which worked. Then I had an ultrasound scan which showed nothing wrong. After this, my periods went back to being a bit (not majorly) irregular, painful and normal for me. A few months ago, The same thing happened again. I bled for almost 2 weeks with no pain. Large clots, though. This one stopped on its own. Then I had another normal period and that leads to now. At the moment I am on day 20 of bleeding. I have had no pain again. The first week was light and now it's fairly heavy with quite a few large clots and no sign of let-up. I'm not overly concerned as it's happened before, but I would like to know what this could be? Some other detail about me are: I am very overweight. I have no children and I have never been pregnant. I have never used any birth control pills or otherwise. I am not stressed in any way. I am 25 years old. Also, I had a bit of bleeding after sex a few times, but not recently. This was before the ultrasound. I am due a smear test, but obviously need to wait until the bleeding stops.
Thanks for any help

You may be experiencing something called Menorrhagia -this is excessive and prolonged bleeding that happens fairly regularly. About one in ten women suffer from this.

Some causes and risk factors include:

■Menstrual cycle hormone dysfunction (imbalance)
■Cervical or endometrial polyps
■Uterine fibroids
■Infection (pelvic infections)
■Blood-clotting disorders
■Anticoagulant medications (blood thinners)
■Anti-inflammatory medications (large amounts over a long period of time)
■Liver, kidney, or thyroid disease
■Problems with an intrauterine device (IUD)
■Ectopic pregnancy
■Ovarian cysts
■Chronic medical conditions
■Cancer of the uterus or cervix (rare)
■Vaginal injury from trauma or sexual abuse
■Complications from pregnancy, such as miscarriage

Risk Factors
A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition. People at greatest risk for menorrhagia include:

■Adolescent girls who have started menstruation within the last 12 to 18 months
■Women approaching menopause
■Women with hereditary bleeding disorders
■Women who are obese

Read more on our Menorrhagia page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/menorrhagia

Your weight may be a factor here but there could be any number of reasons why this is happening (as you can see from above).

It's important you see a doctor about this so you can get a diagnosis and start treatment. On our Menorrhagia page you can read a list of treatments. And if Menorrhagia is not the cause, your doctor can work to find out what's going on and why.

I wish you the best and hope this information has helped. Please stay in touch with us!