Why am I sad?

By August 20, 2010 - 11:46am

Hi. I've noticed of late that I am becoming increasingly moody. My moods go from elation to sad within seconds. I have a lovely house, 2 cats and a boyfriend who is very childlike but I know he loves me and yet my sex drive has disappeared and I hate the way I look and dress more and more. I have had, over the last year, really painful period pains and am wondering if maybe there is something wrong there, that is causing a hormonal imbalance. I don't want to go to the doctor and be a drama queen though, without just cause. I'm only 23 and think it would be normal to be care-free and enjoying life, yet I'm overthrown with sadness, anxiety and anger. I get bloated at 3pm most days and my bowel movements are irregular as well as my periods. I am wondering if people are truly happy or just tricked into thinking they are when they see what they've achieved or what they own. I also only see myself with my boyfriend and have no urges to meet someone else but wonder how people can promise themselves to one person for the rest of their lives...they say 'you just know' but how do you 'just know', what does that feel like? Maybe I'm just a pessimist. I don't want want to die as I know that will hurt the people I love, and the people who love me but am I alone in saying that if there were a way to have never existed, I would take it? I lost my job in September, and struggled to get a new one until June this year, maybe that started things off as I was penniless and worried about losing my house. Now I don't even know if I want my own house. I'm thinking its a waste of time and money. I used to think it was a good thing, getting on the property ladder but now the market is so dyer, maybe the effort has been wasted. Maybe I just need someone to talk to. Who knows? I'm hoping you can advise me! Where do I start? What do I look at changing?
Thanks for your time anyway.

Are there people who never get through anxiety and depression? I've never been able to rid myself of it and I've been trying since I was younger. Meds and no meds, relaxation techs.... you name it and it never stops. They tell me it's all my fault and I'm doing it all to myself and I try to the point of exhaustion....which I'm already exhausted due to chronic pain on top of it all.

Thanks for your post and welcome to EmpowHer! I'm so sorry you are feeling this way but there is help out there, I promise.

I think it's important that you talk to somebody very soon about possible depression.

Your problems are 'of their day' as the expression goes. Meaning that home prices, loss of jobs/income and life in general can become almost intolerable. In fact, instances of depression have seen quite a dramatic increase in the past two years.

However, your case is as individual as you are and you need some immediate help, especially if you feel like you don't want to go on in your life. If you ever feel this way again, please contact the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-448-3000 or call 911.

In the meantime, let's talk a little about depression:

Symptoms can change over time and may include:

■Persistent feelings of sadness, anxiety, or emptiness
■Feeling guilty, worthless, or helpless
■Loss of interest in hobbies and activities
■Loss of interest in sex
■Feeling tired
■Trouble concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
■Trouble sleeping, waking up too early, or oversleeping
■Eating more or less than usual
■Weight gain or weight loss
■Thoughts of death or suicide with or without suicide attempts
■Restlessness or irritability
■Physical symptoms that defy standard diagnosis and do not respond well to medical treatments

There is no blood test or diagnostic test for depression. The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, giving special attention to:

■Alcohol and drug use
■Thoughts of death or suicide
■Family members who have or have had depression
■Sleep patterns
■Previous episodes of depression

The doctor may also perform specific mental health exams. This will help get detailed information about your speech, thoughts, memory, and mood. A physical exam and other tests can help rule out other causes.

You can read a lot more here (as well as the stories of other women) on our depression page: http://www.empowher.com/condition/depression

Let me know what you think.

Also, since you may be having hormonal problems - make sure you have a full physical. Hormonal dysfunction is linked to depression.

Will you put a call into your doctor today?

Mood Disorders

Mood Disorders Guide