ask: Why are my nipples always hard?

By Reisse August 21, 2010 - 8:14pm

Hello, I just recently turned 18 and my nipples have constantly been hard for the past week. I've been reading various posts about the cause for this and has begun to get very scared because they all conclude to the same thing---pregnancy. My boyfriend of 4 years and I have been having sex constantly since the day after I came off my 5-day cycle: august 9th. I am due to start again sometime around September 3rd or 4th. Can you please provide some explanation for this other than pregnancy? When is the earliest I can take an accurate pregnancy test before my next period?

I'm 18, and my nipples have been hurting and have been hard for almost a week and I don't know why either. I have the birth control in my arm I don't have periods much and I don't know my cycle either. I do have unprotected sex with my boyfriend, we used to use condoms but we've been together so long we thought why bother. I don't know if I should tell him or take a pregnancy test or not???? Any thoughts?

im having the same problem, also bloating and cramping and my period was over a week ago

Okay, I need advice. My nipples have constantly been hard for three days now. I'm not cold!!!! I'm on birth control with the arm implant. I hardly EVER have my period. My boobs are soar too but not too soar to the point where I can't sleep on them. I have unprotected sex too with my spouse. I don't know my period cycle anymore. But when I did have a regular period, my nipples were never hard for the period days. What could this mean. Should I take a pregnancy test??

I have the implant in my arm as well, same problem!!! Its been like this for a almost 3 days and i have had unprotected sex recently. Also no period so yikes.

I'm 43 an want to no y my nipples stay hard very very embarrassing...need a answer

Okay here is my story. I'm a little nervous. I don't want to think that its true but I got my period on the Feb 20th and it lasted to its normal then I had unprotected sex with my spouse March 6th. 2 days later my boobs start to hurt and I feel bloated I threw up that whole week so do you think I pregnant or should I just wait to wait to see if my period comes. Let me know I'm nervous

I am having the exact same thing I had sex with my boyfriend a few days ago and my nipples are still hard. What does it mean? Can you please tell me what that means I really am scared. I'm not on any birth control and we used a condom every time.

I have never heard of constant hard nipples as an early pregnancy sign. MOST pregnancy signs and symptoms do not occur until AFTER you have missed a period. There may be slight differences with your body a week before your missed period (back ache, head ache, sore breasts)...but not to the point that it clues you into a pregnancy.

Please tell me more about why you think you would be pregnant.
- Have you been having frequent, unprotected sex?
- When was your last menstrual period? (are you saying your "5 day cycle" was a "5 day period"? so, your period began on august 5th?).
- Are you using any type of birth control?
- Are you trying to conceive?

If your next menstrual period is not expected until around the 5th of September, you would may not even technically be pregnant yet (it takes 10-14 days after ovulation for the fertilized egg to implant, thereby creating a viable pregnancy). Any symptoms you are feeling now would not be related to pregnancy.

You can take a home pregnancy test once your period has not begun when you expect it to; around the 5th of September.

Your symptoms: this has been only occurring for a week? Are your nipples sore or painful? Are your nipples or breasts warm-to-the-touch (indicating an infection)? Is there any discharge from your nipples?

Reisse (reply to Alison Beaver)

No, I am not trying to coonceive by any means necessary. However, my boyfriend and I always have unprotected sex, for the past 3 years we have--we know the risks, but I guess there's no such thing as being too careful. Also, I'm not on any kind of birth control b/c my parents and I both feel that kind of heightens the risk of pregnancy once you've misssed a dose. Therefore, he alwaysmakes sure to pull out before any mistakes can be made, but I have heard somewhat of a myth that preejaculation can impregnate you, so that's why I'm mainly worried. Yes, my last period (cycle) was August 4-8th, where I was ontime and was only one day short (usually 6 days) from my previous cycles.

Alison Beaver (reply to Reisse)

Great to hear back from you!

You and your parents both feel that taking/using birth control HEIGHTENS the risk of pregnancy because you might miss a dose?

Do your parents know that you are having unprotected sex, and do not want to conceive?

I'm curious if you have thought through this "feeling" you have? Do you mind talking about this more in-depth with me? If so:
- What is your feeling about having unprotected sex, as this heightens the risk of pregnancy! In fact, this is the way to get pregnant!

What you and your boyfriend are doing is a form of birth control, and is called the "withdrawal method" (or "pull out method"). Some couples can successfully use this type of birth control, but the risks are high for unintended pregnancy, as it is about 70% effective at preventing pregnancy (it is not a method that is easy to use perfectly).

This compares to using condoms, and these are up to 98% effective at preventing pregnancy. Condoms should not break, and if they do, it is usually "user error" from not enough lubrication or not enough space left at the tip for a reservoir.

This compares to using hormonal contraception, which is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. This type of birth control CAN be used consistently and correctly every time; you don't need to miss a dose. One missed dose still results in a 99% effectiveness rate.

I hope this has helped replace some of the myths into facts! I am curious if you are wanting a more reliable form of birth control, so that you are no longer stressed or worried in the future from a possible unintended pregnancy?

Do you still want to talk about your hard nipples, or are they no longer a concern if you are not worried about pregnancy?

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: