Nail Ridges

Nail Ridges Guide

ask: Why are my thumbnails becoming flat?

I used to have perfectly rounded fingernails across my nail bed, but have noticed over the years that my thumbnails are becoming flat. Am I not eating enough protein? What is causing this? It's been happening for about two years.

Anonymous

I'm wondering if all the young people in this thread, with flattening thumbnails do a lot of thumb-texting? I would expect all the frequent pressure on the thumbtips to cause some flattening of the nail bed.

Anonymous

I'm having same thing. I do take vitamins but have had issues absorbing B12, calcium and iron. My nails look slightly different especially my thumbs --flattened, not the usual slight curve.

Anonymous

23 year old male and as of about two years ago mine have become flat. Just thumb nails that is.

bitty2tooch

I am 51 and over the past 10 years, I've noticed my thumbnails are flattening, also. My thumbnails used to be stronger and grew much more easily than the rest of my fingernails. Now, it is opposite: my thumbnails have flattened ..you can see and feel the flattened area. The nail also separates into two layers if they do manage to grow beyond the quick. I wonder if this is due to some kind of nutritional deficiency.

Anonymous

i'm menopausal for 8 years, and now diagnosed with osteoporosis and my usually indestructible nails ar suddenly turning up slightly at the side edges, enough to cause a snag. nails looking a little flatter at the tips too. i have a good diet and don't usually take vitamins and mineral supplements. maybe i should start?

Anonymous

I mentioned the change in my thumbnails to my endocronologist (thyroid conditions) yesterday. He said flat thumbnails can be a sign of iron deficiency. So- he is having my iron tested.

I have the same problem. I having be taking iron for 2 months and no change as yet.

Anonymous

The same thing is happening to me. I am a 25 year old male. I have noticed this only with my thumbnails. It is mostly happening on my right thumb, but it is also starting on my left. I started noticing this about a year ago.