Q: 

why can i not push out my stool?

By September 18, 2009 - 3:38pm

I am not able to have a bowel movement or pass gas without using a med of somekind most of the time,and when i am able, the stools are like little curly cues and are usually hard.I believe i have pockets in my rectum and the stool collects there,because i can shift my position on the seat,or rock and it helps sometimes.

I wanted to mention that some of the prepared and packaged drinks you mentioned, like v8, may have a high sodium content, and can lead to dehydration. Your pharmacist is right that drinking water is not going to "get" to the hard stool, but drinking plenty of water is still important to prevent dehydration; constipation can occur due to lack of water intake.

Another important factor in preventing constipation is regular exercise, so be sure to add physical activity to your daily routine.

Please know that using stool softeners for a long period of time can actually lead to more problems, as they can cause the bowel muscles to relax and not work properly.

If you continue having symptoms of constipation for more than 2 weeks, you may want to call your doctor to be evaluated, in order to rule out any medical condition.

Be sure to check out EmpowHer's Encyclopedia on constipation (click on word), for more in-depth information, symptoms, treatment and prevention strategies.

Tags:

Constipation

Constipation Guide