Constipation

Constipation Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: why can i not push out my stool?

By cherry schenck

I am not able to have a bowel movement or pass gas without using a med of somekind most of the time,and when i am able, the stools are like little curly cues and are usually hard.I believe i have pockets in my rectum and the stool collects there,because i can shift my position on the seat,or rock and it helps sometimes.

I wanted to mention that some of the prepared and packaged drinks you mentioned, like v8, may have a high sodium content, and can lead to dehydration. Your pharmacist is right that drinking water is not going to "get" to the hard stool, but drinking plenty of water is still important to prevent dehydration; constipation can occur due to lack of water intake.

Another important factor in preventing constipation is regular exercise, so be sure to add physical activity to your daily routine.

Please know that using stool softeners for a long period of time can actually lead to more problems, as they can cause the bowel muscles to relax and not work properly.

If you continue having symptoms of constipation for more than 2 weeks, you may want to call your doctor to be evaluated, in order to rule out any medical condition.

Be sure to check out EmpowHer's Encyclopedia on constipation (click on word), for more in-depth information, symptoms, treatment and prevention strategies.

Dear Cherry

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHer!

The issue may be your diet. What is it like? Do you eat a lot of red meat or processed foods? This can cause havoc with our digestive systems.

You may also be dehydrated. Do you drink plenty of fresh water?

Try increasing your fiber content (a lot) by eating plenty of vegetables and fruit and drink prune juice. A breakfast cereal like Kellogg's Bran Buds provides a large amount of your daily recommended fiber in just one bowl.

You might also want to try eating probiotics. These are the 'good' bacteria that help the body maintain a healthy digestive system. You can read more about it here : http://www.empowher.com/community/share/why-do-we-need-probiotics

I hope this helps you, Cherry. Do you have any symptoms other than this constipation?

cherry schenck (reply to Susan Cody)

thank you susanc-no i dont eat a lot of meat-when i do,its chicken,i have started drinking v8 and bolthouse drinks,especially thier green goodness,and berry drinks,i bought from my neighborhood vegerterian store,a probiotic drink called goodbelly just 3 days ago-the recommended dosage is 1 per day.I eat whole wheat bread and a fair amount of oatmeal.its interesting,a pharmasist about had a cow the other day when i mentioned all the water i drink and he said(stamping his feet),that water would NOT help with constipation,that the water is long absorbed by the intestines before it got to the hard stool.so i started using Philips mag and ducolots,2 days ago-finally starting to move.
Interesting thing tho-water melon helps!-my gut starts talking to me again after eating it.

MiniHats (reply to cherry schenck)

Relieving gas may be a separate or relative issue, considering that if one is able to flatuate, enabling feces movement through the colon. I have noticed the "urge" more often when reclined and relief is easier lying on my left side moreso than my right side. Then, lifting the "cheek" lets it go. If standing, spreading or pulling a cheek may let it go. Be careful of what you let go. (ツ)
Some Yoga moves and/or exercises help. Consider using an inversion table.
Start your days with Supplements, Fiber, Water, Greens . Don't be ashamed to be a "Metamucil Addict". Psyllium is a bulk-forming fiber laxative with several natural benefits, combine the powder with the husk in water. Maybe fiber caps or chews before dinner or bedtime. Mix powdered veggies in a glass bottle (like a Snapple bottle). Florida Herbhouse has a large variety. I especially like Pines wheatgrass and barley grass powders with their bulk discount. Start the day with a "layer" of good things. Snack on fruit and nuts, esp walnuts, almonds, or sunflower kernels, or at least use them to "line" the stomach with good nutrients before consuming sugars, fats, flour, or meat. I don't, but eating soups regularly should be helpful.
I have never used stool softeners or laxatives. Grunting/pushing and straining is not good, you should routinely "tuck in" your stomach; with your frontal abs, squeeze it all in and hold it in, then try to squeeze a little more. Sit up straight, arch the back and if you do it effectively, the bladder and colon will also get squeezed....I haven't, but one may consider a lubricant suppository... Honestly, 3 or 4 times each year, I don't wait any longer than around 30 hours, then the baby wipe on the index finger becomes a "dipstick". Sometimes, just a shallow insertion for a few seconds is enough to stimulate anal discharge; other times it gets "exploratory". Its all you, if you get it on you, it won't kill you.. (ツ)